What is missing in Dorico for VSL

I’ve always found in Sibelius that it’s advisable - nay essential - to access VI(P) through/from VE(P).

Have you discovered a circumstance where that’s not true, please, DaddyO?

Yes, that works. VI(P) is VST2 only, so you have to whitelist it. VE(P) is (also) VST3, so you see that automatically.

VI cost more CPU power than using VE PRO

Mark,

I don’t want to derail this thread, but:

I’m just experimenting with Instrument Tracks in Cubase and wondering if the same approach is possible in Dorico. With Cubase Instrument Tracks I can directly load a track with a single VI Pro instance.

I have normally used VE Pro in my Cubase work, the VST3 version which supports multiple MIDI ports, 16 available channels per port instead of per instance. The most recent update has finally got me doing some work in Dorico. Since it does not yet have support for MIDI ports, and for my setup this means a separate VE Pro instance for each instrument type (for example, Flutes, Oboes, Clarinets and Bassoons instead of just Woodwinds), I started to entertain the idea of going full bore with individual instances of VI Pro, thus simplifying things immensely.

I fully expect to use VE Pro. It brings definite advantages, and my MIR Pro is useless without it.

Yes, thanks.

I’m used to that as a user of VE Pro. I’m just experimenting (see my response to Mark above).

You can have a VE of a 100 or more VI, if you use IAC there should be no problem

Daniel can you comment on this ?

Not sure what you mean by IAC.

But sure, you can build such a VE using the VST3 version of VE Pro. I have done so and use it in Cubase. But since Dorico does not yet support MIDI ports, with this program you can only access one MIDI port and 16 channels per VI instance.

Now, if IAC is something that overcomes that, I am all ears.

edited to add:

I looked up IAC, it appears it is a Mac feature, that’s why I’m not familiar with it. I am on Windows 10. :slight_smile:

Inter application communication… e.g. nerds.de … there are free alternatives as well

DaddyO,

I’ve yet to experiment with VSL VIs, having only recently returned to Dorico after a break.

It’s definitely on my list, as is Ivory II.

Maybe the best thing is to try a direct connection between Dorico and VIP and see if you can get it to work.

I know that with Sibelius, Andi and his team have always advised VEP to control VIP, and - as you say - to channel through MIR.

I don’t have anything to add. Frank’s assessment is correct. I think you need to roll up your sleeves and try some of this stuff out for yourself, Cyril.

Hello Daniel,

I am going back home on Sunday, and I will put my hand into it.

Frank also said : “Please observe that these Cubase Xmaps contain LOTS of techniques that are not currently understood by Dorico, and hence will not work”

Looking in Dorico it seems a lot of articulation/playing technique are handle, is there is a list of articulation/playing technique that are not handle in Dorico yet ?

One thing that is stopping me to use Dorico is that when you import a Midi or XML file you cannot see the note dynamic used when you are in the “Write” mode ! is it plan for next release ?

In the mean time I will make my template using VSL/MIR and if the result are great I will keep my VSL libs, otherwise I will sell them

No, there’s no canonical list of the playing techniques that are or are not handled in Dorico. All playing techniques can be played to some extent, but when used in combination with one another, or when switching between them, not everything will work as you would expect. I realise it’s frustrating not to be able to say with certainty what works and what doesn’t, but everything is very much in flux as we build this part of the application.

Hello Daniel

Thanks for your answer.

You did not reply to :
One thing that is stopping me to use Dorico is that when you import a Midi or XML file you cannot see the note dynamic used when you are in the “Write” mode ! is it plan for next release ?

No, it is not planned for the next release, but it is planned for the future.

Hello Daniel

It’s pity because that mean that I have to wait to use Dorico !

If I put a PP before a series of notes that are at 80, 90, 60, 50, 30, 20 ; what value will be taken by Dorico for the following notes that are at 90, 60, 50, 30, 20 ?

Dorico does not currently respect the velocity of notes imported from MIDI files in any case; it uses only the dynamics in the score to determine the played dynamic.

:frowning:

We will at some point have this ability – lots of the required logic is already there, however there are still a few missing pieces.

GREAT

THANKS