What Is The Best Way To Learn Cubase 7?

MIDI loops don’t have sounds. Tracks have sounds.

Some one-on-one tuition might not be that expensive. Where are you?

@Lawrence Payne, the OP figured that out.

@Wagtunes, I think you’re having some initial doubts, but I think you’ll find that if you are able to extrapolate a few things from new information chunks as you did above your learning will accelerate on its own.

I’m in NJ. So when I pull up the Loop Browser in the Media menu and audition a loop, what actually is happening? Is Cubase assigning a waveform sample to a MIDI loop and that’s why I’m able to hear it? If that’s the case, shouldn’t I have to initialize an instrument in order to hear the loop when I drag it to the timeline? Or is Cubase automatically doing that for me? And if so, how does it decide what instrument to assign it to?

In my hard wired Korg synth, if I pull up a loop, it plays the sound that is assigned to it. Sure, i can go in and modify that sound and store it in a user defined location, but it’s still a sound and not MIDI until I actually play the keyboard and send the MIDI data to my MIDI box through the MIDI out cable which in turn triggers the sound inside the sound module which is then sent over the audio cable through the mixer to the Digital Recorder.

So when I hear a “sound” inside of Cubase, I assume it’s a sound and not just MIDI data.

In Cubase, in order for me to hear something when the MIDI loop plays, it has to be assigned to some kind of sample. And I know that when I pull up a MIDI loop and “play” it, I’m not assigning any sound to it so the software must be doing it for me. No?

If you don’t have a MIDI target already, I believe the browser uses the default MIDI device of you system (on windows it’s the MS GM thing).

That’s exactly what’s happening. But it’s still assigning the sound associated with the loop itself when I play it back. I don’t know where the sound is coming from as it doesn’t show what sound module each loop is associated with. Not that it matters because once I take the MIDI track and assign it to another instrument, it takes on the sound of that instrument.

This is really cool and somewhat confusing stuff.

Anyway, I just created my first test tune just to make sure I can follow a specific procedure and it will work. So this is what I did.

1. I created a composition in Finale 2012. I made it a short 30 second piece. Nothing fancy. Just an Am, G, E chord progression using Bass, Piano, Synth Pad and Synth Lead.

2. Exported as a MIDI file.

3. Imported MIDI file into Cubase.

4. Reassigned sounds that were assigned through general MIDI and the Finale Aria Player to other instruments that I loaded up in the project, deleting the originals. Also created a MIDI drum track.

5. Mixed, Mastered and Exported as an audio file.

Along the way I did run into some stumbling blocks and unexpected events.

A) When bringing up a new instrument, Cubase would automatically mute it. Not sure why, but it would. Strange.

B) Had problems assigning drum beat to Groove Agent One but eventually figured it out. Will need to work with this a lot.

C) When exporting to audio, got error message that I had no start and end points. Took me a while to figure out how to assign these. Still not sure I can duplicate what I did. I’m still a little clumsy with the interface.

While it’s no great piece of music, I’m pleased with the results. It shows that I now have the basics down and from there any advanced techniques that I’m going to need I’m sure I’ll be able to either figure out on my own or through the help of this wonderful forum.

Thank you all. You’ve all been so incredibly helpful. After 35 years in the music business, I felt like a grade schooler again and it wasn’t a particularly uplifting feeling. But after wrestling with the Yamaha DX7 for God knows how long (FM synthesis was a royal pain) I’m sure I can eventually get the hang of this. I still don’t know where everything is and what all the capabilities of this software are, but I’ll get there.

There is a default GM mode that targets a GM instrument like HS-SE with the provided midi loops. The MIDI file selects the instrument via a program message. The target GM instrument loads that instrument. That’s the entire purpose of the GM spec for MIDI.

This is really cool and somewhat confusing stuff.

Some people think THIS was the intended purpose of the GM spec.

C) When exporting to audio, got error message that I had no start and end points. Took me a while to figure out how to assign these. Still not sure I can duplicate what I did. I’m still a little clumsy with the interface.

You have set the cycle start and end up on the ruler. That tells Cubase where to start and end the export.

I can’t vouch for any of these, but there are a bunch of third party books on how to use Cubase. Also for getting a handle on the basics, the ones for versions 5 & 6 should work too.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=cubase

Hey Wagtunes,

I’m in NJ near rt 195 and Great Adventure. ( I guess the modern world calls it Six Flags). I have read something finally here I have only thought…was me… " Cubase has a long learning curve and can’t be fully utilized with hours and hours of reading the manual "

You also know some great things I don’t…the recording skills. I’m sure you’ll be kicking butt in no time

If you ever feel the need to run to Totowa to those Cubase meetings… I m ready

BTW…your question has popped up several times over the years …I’ve seen it many times over the last 9 years. There are so many options in the educational process thank goodness I am just a hobbyist

Thanks, I appreciate it. I just may take you up on that offer.

In the meantime, I’ve hit a brick wall and I don’t quite know how to break through it.

Here’s the situation. It should be easy but for some reason it’s not working properly.

I have a project with 3 instruments all playing different loops that I pulled from the loop browser. What I want to do is add a lead synth line over the top of the loops. Now I know that if I had a MIDI keyboard right now his would be no problem at all. I just load up another instrument and play the lead real time. But I won’t have my new keyboard until next week.

So I thought of what would be a cool workaround that I thought should work with no problem.

I loaded up Finale and scored the lead part. I then exported the score as a MIDI file just as I did with the first test I did. I then imported the MIDI file into the existing project and moved the lead line to the part of the time line where I wanted it to go.

When I pressed play, the audio was completely chopped up. I couldn’t make out any of the instruments.

My guess is this. The MIDI file I imported in is causing conflicts with the existing loops. But why? I’m guessing it’s because I have more than one thing on the same MIDI channel but i’m not sure. And for some reason, when I check each instrument to see what MIDI channel it’s assigned to, it doesn’t say. It just says something like “All MIDI In”.

Am I somehow playing in polyphonic mode with everything going through one channel? And even if that’s the case, why would importing another MIDI file interfere with what’s already there?

I am totally stumped. Any ideas what’s going on?

Congrats!

Did you have another track soloed?

Setting locators. ctrl-numpad1 (set Left Locator), ctrl-numpad2 (Set Right Locator). Puts each where the project playhead is at at that moment. Also, you can alt-click and ctrl-click on the timeline for that.

You can also, with the mouse, lasso select or multiple select (with ctrl and/or shift) the parts you want, then hit “P” (Locators to Selection) the locators will be placed accordingly.

Sounds great. Soon enough you will be complaining like the rest of us. :wink: :laughing:

Sounds like you have nothing to worry about.

Steve, thanks for the tips. Oh, and I figured out the problem with the choppy audio when importing a MIDI file.

1. The file was on the same MIDI channel as another part so it just totally screwed with it.

2. In reassigning, I couldn’t just move it. I had to actually create another instance of HALion SE because using the existing instance kept resetting the voice back to the voice in the channel of the original instance. I don’t know if this is a bug or just a quirk with PC based DAWs. With a hardware DAW, you obviously only have one keyboard and one instrument and just different MIDI channels and presets. But Cubase seems to work a little differently. Almost like you literally need to load a new instrument for each part.

Can you imagine if you had to do this with hardware synths? You’d have 16 plus keyboards laying around the house.

So yes, the “how to’s” of some of this stuff is a little non intuitive if you’ve been working with hardware. But slowly I’m starting to begin to understand the quirks. So now I literally don’t need a MIDI keyboard as long as I remember to change the MIDI channels of each imported MIDI file from Finale.

Still, I think it will make my life a lot easier if I did have a MIDI keyboard. I’m thinking of M-Audio’s 49 key so I’m not too limited to what I can do but also don’t have to take up a ton of space.

That brings up something else I saw on another video that the M-Audio keyboards don’t work right out of the box with Cubase. You need to download some file to make it work. Not sure how true this is but I’ve made a note of it just in case the one I get doesn’t sync up with Cubase.

Some midi keyboards have USB. They evolved from having midi ports that had to be plugged into a stand-alone midi interface which was, in turn plugged into the computer, to having the interface built into the unit with a USB jack to connect to the computer. This needs a driver.

I have a Fatar SL-880 that I picked up for $100 plugged into a Midiman 2x2 (which became m-audio) interface, then USB to the computer. The Midiman requires drivers, as do others.

Didn’t read all the replies but I will say this…

Don’t just learn how, learn why! I also came from outboard gear (and still use it) and the biggest thing that helps me understand how to do something is knowing WHY it works or doesn’t work that way.
i.e. Adding an Instrument vs an (F11) Instrument Channel. Or Things like side chaining and differnt types of automation etc…

Because once you get the WHY is when you learn not to make the same mistakes and it helps you understand and create your new workflow.

I myself am in NYC/NJ and always get e-mail to attend steinberg Q&A’s at local stores. Use all your resources but at the same time pace yourself, there is no “Quick Learn” for this and there is no end to learning something new! :nerd:

I was planning on getting an M-Audio keyboard but after going to the M-Audio forum I’m not so sure. It seems that they have not updated the drivers that worked in 6.5 for 7.0 and users are finding that they’re keyboards aren’t doing what they’re supposed to do.

I know I should probably create another thread for this but since I’m here, is anybody using a USB based keyboard that they’ve not had any problems with as far as interfacing with Cubase 7? I’d prefer nothing bigger than 49 keys if possible.

I’m surprised in a way, as my 2004 Casio Privia has USB and works fine thru C7. Although it is 88 keys and weighs too much

Some programs insert a program change at the beginning of a midi sequence which might be what is changing the voice on you. You can see if this is happening by clicking on the midi part to select it and then from the MIDI menu open it with the List Editor and see if there is a program change at the start. If so delete it.

Try doing this for a mini tutorial:

1. Create a new instrument track and select a Halion Sonic SE piano (or whatever) sound during the creation. Right click on any existing track and select “Add Track” to get started.
  2. On this newly created track use the pencil tool to draw in a new midi part for as many measures as you want.
  3. Double click on this new midi part to open the Key Editor.
  4. Inside the Key Editor use the pencil tool to draw in notes in the piano roll display - bars/beats are the horizontal scale and pitches are the vertical scale. At the top of the display you’ll notice a quantize value that can be set to a variety of values (e.g. 1/4 note, 1/8 triplets etc.) this restricts how small a note you can enter so set it for the smallest note length you intend to use. If it is set to 1/8 notes for example you can draw in any multiple of an 1/8 note, whole, half, etc. You can also draw without notes being quantized if you turn off "snap’ using the button at the top that looks a bit like >:<
  5. Back in the project window (no need to close the Key Editor), use the arrow tool to select this new midi part. Then go to the Score menu and pick 'Open Selection." This will open the part in the Score Editor so you can see how it looks there. Any changes made in one editor are reflected in the other.

If you use Instrument instead of MIDI tracks while you are learning Cubase you can ignore all the stuff about midi channels etc. It is one voice per track that is driven by midi parts but behaves like an audio track. Also I highly recommend learning the Key Editor first as it forms a foundation of how Cubase deals with midi data.

Good luck on learning this. Although you are encountering a steep learning curve due to the conceptual differences between a physical studio and a DAW, once you get beyond those conceptual differences your analog background will prove a real benefit in understanding how sound works.

Do you have an android phone or tablet? I can recommend a very good summary tutorial for beginners. Cost $10.

Unfortunately, I don’t. Right now, I’m actually more concerned with getting a USB controller that actually works with Cubase 7. I am reading some horror stories about outdated drivers and controllers that don’t work at all. Hopefully, my dealer who sells these and Cubase will be able to confirm which ones work with the software.

Most USB midi keyboards these day’s are midi class compliant, meaning they have no need of software, just plug them into USB port and they’ll run. So dont worry about having to find and download drivers for the sort of keyboard you mention.

Of course if you get a more sophisticated controller keyboard, then that would have dedicated driver and mapping/editing software that enables people to program the faders and knobs to suit their needs.

Sounds as if your doing great and having a ball with your setup, you’ll soon get into it after chilling out a while and watching a few tutorial videos :slight_smile:

So what you’re saying is that any USB keyboard controller will, at the very least, play the notes and transmit mod wheel and sustain pedal data that will be recognized and recorded by Cubase 7? If that’s true, that’s all I really care about.