What is the 'Ctrl-Houston' midi status in Generic remote setup used for?

I am trying to see if there is any way at all I can use my Houston controller. Can someone explain what the ‘Ctrl-Houston’ midi status under generic remote is used for? When I try to learn from Houston, it changes to ‘controller’ and does not function.
Did Steinberg not only not add this controller to C11 but also make sure there was no way it would ever be configured or used?

when in learn mode, does the number in the Address column change when you turn different dials or faders?

I think I read here that the Houston and a couple other controllers were missing, and that they would be coming back in an update.

1 Like

Yes Nico5. The address column changes and you even see that midi data is sent but it doesn’t translate to any actions in C11 or Houston.

I read some older posts that said differently Steve. I hope you’re correct and Steinberg has reconsidered since then!

So the Houston is sending midi data ok. So in theory, that would mean that you should be able to configure it as a Generic Remote (if Steinberg doesn’t come through with an update).

You would have to learn how to configure the lower half of the Generic Remote, since that’s where you define what Cubase should do with the various midi messages defined in the upper half of that window.

p.s. In the Generic Remote setup window: change the Midi Input to the midi port of your Houston control (not “all midi inputs”) and confirm that the Midi Output is also the correct midi port for your Houston controller.

I’ve been trying this but with no success. I plan to keep trying as many variations as possible. I’ll also change the midi input as you suggested. Steinberg support sent over this video that explains the use of the ‘midi monitor’ plug in to see what data is being sent. I’ll play with this as well. At some point I’ll be able to create music, but this is killing me! :slight_smile:
Thanks!

if you give me an example what inside Cubase you want to control with your first rotary knob, I may be able to tell you what you need to do. – And attach another screen capture of what your Generic Remote looks like right now

This is what happens in generic remote learn mode when moving a fader from 0 to max non-stop. Notice the address goes from 24 to 34 and stops at 24 when the fader stops moving at the top.

This is how the fader reacts in the mixer under the same circumstance (both are over a 15 sec. time frame but are at 4x speed due to posting restrictions.)

From what I’ve looked, it doesn’t seem like the Houston has a generic midi controller mode, but only it’s proprietary protocol. In that protocol the faders send and receive what looks like midi messages, but are implemented to mean something different (to achieve much higher precision than a typical midi CC).

So if it’s possible to get it to work, it would probably involve a lot of trial and error. The midi learn in the Generic Remote just confuses things, because can handle only regular CC messages, notes and stuff.

Unfortunately I have no idea how the Ctrl-Houston would have to be configured in the Generic Remote and couldn’t find obvious insight from the Houston manuals. ftp://ftp.steinberg.net/Archives/Hardware/Houston/

So I’m afraid, I have to admit defeat, since I don’t have a Houston to experiment with. :frowning_face:

I totally agree with you here! Not ready to admit (total) defeat, but I am going to put this experiment to rest for a minute in the hopes that Steinberg will resurrect it for C11 as was stated they would do for Nuendo while I get better acclimated to the rest of the DAW.

Thanks for trying!

1 Like

It‘s cool, that Steinberg brought back the Houston integration in Cubase meanwhile.

But I have an Idea for a remote controlling setup. As mentioned above. The Houston Controller uses two numbers to get a bigger resolution. (14 bit) One cc value is only 7 bit, from 0 to 127. For Fader one for example, the first midi number, which is send to Cubase ist the most significant bit (msb). This is the number you want for remote controlling. But the lsb number (least significant bit) comes always at the end, to finetune the msb value.

So try out with a midi monitor as Steinberg wrote you and use the first midi value you get displayed, if you move the fader, you want to control. For the first fader, I know, it is cc1. I could imagine, that it is then just cc2,3,4,5 and so on.

Hey, I just released a PD-Patch with which it is possible, to use the Steinberg Houston as a standard Midi-Controller or as a Mackie Controller. You can download my Software here:

1 Like

Thanks @Indybackflip ! I recently upgraded to C12 and will give this patch a try!

Let me know, if you need any help. I guess it can be a little bit complicated at first to get used to it.
Programmed it mainly for me to use the Houston with other DAWs and then I thought, that maybe other people are also interested.

If you want do do a Generic Setup with Cubase, then the Houston_Generic.pd patch is the right one for you. And don’t forget to deactivate your hardware midi device and only use the virtual one as described in my manual. Otherwise Cubase will get confused.