What Is The Most Comprehensive Way To Back Up A Self Contained Project and It's Folder

So providing that all audio and midi flies are contained in the the project folder,would simply copying folder to an external hard drive not just be as good a back up as any.
Does archivng a project save midi information.
Or is archiving the project then Back Up Project the most comprehensive way to save a project and folder to an external hard drive so that you have a fully self contained project that can be used on another pc at a later date.
I am asking this question purely based on backing cubase 11pro with stock plug ins,no 3rd party software or plugins, many thanks

Yes.

The command “Prepare Archive” means “Prepare Project for Archiving”

This function is simple and straightforward – it searches the Pool for files that are not in the project folder, and copies them to it.

Midi is saved in the project itself, so no action is needed.

Thanks for clarifying that Steve,much appreciated.

I think it is enough to backup the project using the function in the File menu.
Everything you need is saved to a new folder of that you specify, EXCEPT for any user made sample being used inside a plugin, e.g. Padshop,

Prepare Archive is not necessary for your case.

Johnny I like what Steve explained

This function is simple and straightforward – it searches the Pool for files that are not in the project folder, and copies them to it.
It seems like good house keeping as they like to call it.
Worth it if I forget to copy files to project folder,
Many thanks

1 Like