What is the percussion signature of this track...?

I just bought Sonuscore’s 12-String & Balalaika Kontakt instrument and the following sample audio parked at Soundcloud is what sold me. But… I can’t figure out the track’s signature - it’s definitely in the “world music” genre.

It’s most pronounced starting at 0:50 to 1: 16 min. I love where the downbeat lands.
I want to be able to duplicate it in my own way.

Thanks for your ear-help. :sunglasses:

Oriental Spheres

Sounds like 7/8 to me.

1 Like

Steve is right.

The so-called “odd” time signatures (“meters”) are a sadly neglected source of musical inspiration.

Have a look at this instructional video, it’s less than 8 minutes long, and it could change your world:
Basic odd rhythm patterns in Balkan songs
(and no, it’s not math, it’s basic arithmetic)

These rhythms are not “odd”, they’re just not commonplace anymore. What I think is great about how Marita explains these rhythms, is that you can appreciate just how natural they really are; I believe these rhythms are intinsic to humans, and are an avenue of musical expression currently not being explored in Western “commodity” music.

Pretty much everybody could hum Dave Brubeck’s Take Five, or the Strangler’s Golden Brown, without needing to know they are both in 5/4. In Irish traditional music, the world exploded in the late 70’s when Andy Irvine returned from his journeys through Bulgaria and other Balkan cultures and (re-?) introduced rhythmic variations to the standard reportoire, influencing things like Bill Whelan’s wonderful Ballymun Regatta, a precursor to Riverdance.

So go forth and write something in 22/16*

*Apparently it’s even possible to dance to that :slight_smile:
[WARNING] clicking on the above YouTube video link may result in brain injury (your mileage may vary), in which case you must immediately take this antidote! (Bartok on a banjo).

2 Likes

Thank you for that @MrSoundman! Truly awesome video.

1 Like

One that really does earn the attribute of “awesome”:
How to Dance in 22/16: Aksak Rhythms Explained in Less Than 15 Minutes

1 Like

That’s the one I meant.

@steve and @MrSoundman - Thanks for your input. I’ll check out the info/video too.

@steve and @Early21 and @MrSoundman - I had contacted Sonuscore about that track for I wanted do know how it was arranged, and the composer confirmed what you stated - it is in 7/8.

He also mentioned that it was composed as he described it as “D HM5” or a variation of Phrygian Major which he stated as what is used to lend an Arabian or Middle East élan.

All of this is a bit over my head for I don’t know Modes, can neither read nor read music and such, but I do understand some basics and so will learn from it.

As you have pointed out, such scales are not used in most modern Western music, but they sure do create a unique ambiance and color that for me is rather thrilling.

Here is a reference that can help you regarding this Phrygian mode from the harmonic minor scale.

1 Like

So funny, i knew there was something vaguely familiar-sounding in that “Dance … 22/16” vid, and then they clarified it -

sounds (to me) just like some live Zappa I used to listen to, a half music/half comedy narrative (and almost completely NSFW) he made when Flo and Eddie (previously aka, “The Turtles”) were in his band … maybe Live at the Fillmore?

I wonder if Zappa studied Balkan music!