What is this thing about Cubase compressing sound on its own ( with nothing on the master BUS ) ?

Hi there,

Can someone tell me - who can also hear and knows what i am talking about - what is going on with this “effect” that Cubase does to the sound ?

I read some topics years ago, when this “feature” was first introduced in the Cubase mixer - and i heard it too back then

But now i would really like to understand what is going on with the mixing engine as i am preparing to finish several works

This is very noticeable, but like with anything horrible, you get kinda used to it over time, so you basically hear it ( the compression Cubase summing does ) only when having worked on other DAWs for a period of time

And naturally, you do not hear or notice it so much much longer after having worked with it for a while

So i want to avoid any issues not hearing this due to ear fatigue when rendering tracks

And i would like someone to explain to me what is going on so i can avoid any specific levels or things that set the subtle yet very audible Cubase ( auto ) limiting on in the mixer

And please if you can not hear this, consider the fact that you may just be used to it and let those answer who know what is going on

Similar to how you could hear an audible difference in Bitwig 1 Sound Engine - which their developer fixed reluctantly after first denying any issues, this is easy to hear after working on a DAW that “does not pump” or limit

To me it sounds like some parts of the sound disappears and i want to get perfect mixes out

What do i need to avoid - and what levels do i set - for the Cubase summing not to mess up my sound?

( what dB triggers this )

I m asking so i can save time and do other things than test what causes the Cubase summing to break

Has anyone found out what triggers this?

Is there like an internal level in the summing before anything hits the master, that i can set as a set point - to avoid this weird multiband limiting effect?

Just so i can monitor it and know my sound is not altered by this

Cubase does nothing to the sound. Either a prodcut of aural phantasies or something that has nothing to do with cubase.
(I am not meaning that in a rude way - but subjective “compression” perceiption might be a question of beginning hearing loss!)

just to add: Not only “can I not hear it” but any decent objective means to show deviations proves that what you are talking about simply does not exisit in cubase.

You have to realize that damage to your hearing cannot only be determined by “not hearing” something but very often by “hearing something”.

I read some topics years ago, when this “feature” was first introduced in the Cubase mixer - and i heard it too back then

Do you have any links to this? It could be you are thinking about the built in effects via the channel edit button. I believe they are off by default.

Do you have a laptop with some effects built in to the onboard audio card, such as Beats Audio or Waves Maxx?
Many onboard cards have this type of features now and now way to turn them off unless you use an external audio device.
What is your setup?

I have found what triggers it: It is an extraterrestral engergy - please only comment if you also can feel this energy. If you can’t, please consider that you might already be used to it and therefore not feeling it. Years ago the aliens came to our planet and introduced this energy. I could feel it back then. And like every terrible thing one gets used to it and over time you dont feel it any more. But it is still there.

Who can help?

Objectively speaking, I suppose a null test would prove nothing correct?

Exactly, greggybud.

My ironic comment was intentional. I find it absolutely ridiculous to claim something and tel the world that does not agree that they had to be aware that they are simply not able to hear it and therefore cant contribute.

Cubase does absolutely nothing. I consider the OP a troll in the meantime. It feels like spreading fakenews about Cubase and at the same time making it impossible to prove what is true by telling us “stay out of the discussion, if you cant hear it…”.

There is nothing to hear. and if the OP hears something - this was the part where I was serious - it can be an indication of beginning hearing loss.

Cheers, Ernst

Hi, just for the hell of it, I just did the null test.

I took a 24 bit audio file that came from Protools, put it into Cubase and exported it, then I imported both the original and exported files to adjacent tracks. Then I performed a null test ie. reversed the phase of one channel. IF Cubase is compressing anywhere, it would be applying it twice to one track and once to the other and there would be a dynamic difference between the two. The result was absolute silence, so I can say categorically that Cubase in my set up is not performing any hidden compression.

Sound card processing as Elien said, is a possible area to look at. Assigning audio in both Output and Control Room will create a double image - which is a sort of horrid static phase sound, fairly difficult to miss! There could be other routing issues inside the system or in hardware. Anyway, I don’t dispute that OP is hearing something, just saying that it’s not occurring in my system.

I am also not disputing that the OP is hearing something. I just want to be clear that it is not a cubase thing and not a “feature” that was implemented years ago.

Wondering if the OP has a compressor or limiter VST inserted somewhere in the chain. Might even be activated in the sound device software.

Regards. :sunglasses:

I made a null test with 1 Retrologue sent to 2 groups. I added +30db with a gain plugin at one group and put the fader to -30db. The other group (via send) was phase reversed. Output is zero.
Of course Cubase doesn’t compress anything as its about simple multiplications only (at the faders and gain).