What Orchestral Library Works the best In Dorico ( other than NOTEPERFORMER )

I went with the Gigabyte X570S AERO G mobo with my 5950x. Works great with my Gigabyte Titan Ridge TB card.

On your other thread it appeared like you were only using Vienna Ensemble Pro. You need to load the VSTs in Vienna Ensemble Pro Server to be able to have Dorico connect to it.

You should be using the vst3 version of Kontakt with Dorico, not the vst2 as the vst3 version cannot be blacklisted. Kontakt 5 up to date or K6 should be fine. Vienna Ensemble Pro (do use v.7) has three basic advantages for me 1. you can close the project but keep VEP open so there is virtually no time required to be up and running again when you reopen Dorico. 2. Performance of Dorico when running the libraries can be much more responsive. I’ve found a huge improvement with the BBC SO and it looks like CSS will also be much improved. 3. Much easier to mix libraries and have everything in one place.

There are various views on NotePerformer. The truth is, as you say, is that it’s not objectively as good as with great samples well programmed-- with the strings mostly being the weakest point as Gil said (reduce the vibrato to around 25-40 certainly can help) but can give very nice results in some sorts of music, particularly vigorous and crisply articulated orchestral scores. Your comment on it working better in Sibelius is not really surprising. It was designed for Sibelius and the Finale and Dorico versions are officially still beta with a somewhat reduced articulation set. There are few reasons I would prefer to use Sib v Dorico but there is a case for the former if NP playback is important , I would say.

1 Like