What’s the best timesaver you’ve ever discovered?

Ooh I love these kinds of threads I always learn stuff even after years of use

2 Likes

Also, I found assign “delete” on Esc button, very helpful.
Also, fade in/out to “~”

Setting up a key command to increase velocity by 3, and another similarly to reduce by 3. I use it dozens of times per day, possibly hundreds

1 Like

High suggest trying this experiment - disable those G/H Shift+G/H zoom commands so that you can no longer use them and to force you to use the other zoom commands, specifically:

-Zoom To Selection (for me Alt+S)
-Zoom To Selection Horizontally (for me Alt+Shift+S)
-Undo Zoom (for me Alt+z)
-Redo Zoom (for me ctrl+alt+z)
-Zoom Tracks Full (For me Alt+Shift+F)
-Zoom Project Full (for me Shift+F)

once you’ve got those incorporated and memorized, create and add your five Zoom Presets and assign them to key commands. I assigned mine to Shift+F1 to F5.

I can hit all those zoom commands with only my left hand. Personally, I found this to be very nice workflow. Since re-enabling my G/H zoom commands, I hardly ever use them.

I also use Zoom Tracks Exclusive, but some people don’t like it.

2 Likes

Getting a gamer mouse with buttons… you can map key commands onto each button as well as various mouse scroll options using their software. You can also toggle the mouse profile to different user settings for each DAW you’re using. One for Protools, one for Cubase, one for dorico, and just map all the buttons for same/ similar functions. Voila!

2 Likes

Very precise! I like it. Will incorporate this.

1 Like

Try using a pen tablet instead of a mouse. For editing midi piano roll & controller lanes it helps me work 2x or 3x faster. Also o4ne of the pen buttons is assigned to ‘pan & scroll’. Very fast & precise navigation.

+1 on assigning UI related key commands to left hand (or non-mouse hand). Try show/hide panels & inspectors, channel settings panel, show instrument, switch workspaces, etc. Not needing to look down or switch hands helps the flow.

3 Likes

i found one cool thing, for mixing.
add 3 Cue’s in control room
1 Cue - sonarworks (headphones or monitors)
2 Cue - Reverence reverb with Iphone-ipad IR file
3 Cue - Reference track

and assighn it to shortcut. Very very helpful!
Whats important, it’s “refresh” your ears

A post was split to a new topic: Recommendations for mouse

Please stay on the topic of “What’s the best timesaver you’ve ever discovered?”

Can add my way:
I’m using Logitech MX518 with Logitech software, which can assign mouse profile to each application.
My assignment at mouse:

• Snap to grid
  • show/hide lines
  • vertical zoom
  • Alignment tool (add Reference, Add target, Align)
  • zoom to selected (macro, hide all, keep selected track zoom in)

Keep in mind, you can assign 1 mouse button with 3 modifiers (J,Shift+J,Ctrl+J,Shift+j, Ctrl+Shift+J & etc.)

At my home i’m using Razer Naga 2012, same algorithm, but more buttons. BUT! Razer Naga 2012 (only 2012) has one big disappointment - extra buttons is too flat, you can’t immediately recognize at which position your finger is.

1 Like

another time-saving macro for me.

Very helpful after recording, and comping vocal

• Track version - Duplicate
  • Select all on track
  • Bounce
    In this case, its much more easy to use Alignment Tool. you just add 1 Reference event. and original audio, stay untouched

Wanna share some workflow experience with my “new” pc keyboard Logitech G510S.
ebay around 50$

Assigned:
G1 - switch Mix-Cue2 - in control room, to fast listen my mix & reference (super useful)
G2 - mono-stereo preset in CR
G3 - listen selected channel
G4 - VariAudio tool - when open audio editor, it automatically start VariAudio scan
G5, G6 - events to part, dissolve part
G7 - Show Tracks with Selected Events
G8 - Undo visibility changes (i was schooled to discover this feature, well done Steinberg!)

And it’s only M3 layer of keyboard (M1-M2-M3)
Also in Logitech software you can assign colorligh for each layer

This small things strongly speed up my workflow :muscle:!
The big problem, its you need time to remember all assighments

3 Likes

And it’s got 3 banks too? 54 extra buttons in all? :ok_hand:t2: Exquisite.

1 Like

Yes! But For now, I can remember only from G1 to G9, slowly get ideas to g10,g11.
As I mention above, need time to create “memory muscle”.
Couple days ago, I work in other studio, with regular keyboard, and it was super uncomfortable :sweat_smile:

Also, I wondering how this little things speed up audio editing process, when you assign functions to nearest button around your hand on keyboard

how silent are the keys on that model, and do they rattle at certain frequencies?

I’ve had to get rid of certain keyboards for that both those reasons. key press too loud, or keys buzzing on certain frequencies. I got the K800 for that reason, more laptop style keys.

it seems silent & rattle are ok here, but maybe it depends on condition. mine is 4/5

i have that key set to render in place and then it automatically deletes the rendered track…

another big favourite of mine is when working with audio files… if you want to change all of the duplicated samples on a track hit alt & shift and drop the new sample on top of the old one and it and all the duplicates will be replaced…

1 Like

if you tune tons of vocals, this macro is for you.
Its open selected audio event, automatically analyze VariAudio, and your cursor is selected to VariAudio Tool.

2 Likes

In question of tuning vocals, i found 2 shortcuts that speed up the process, and improve the result.

Sample Editor - VariAudio - Correct pitch
Sample Editor - VariAudio - Reset All Changes

usefull to assign this commands to keys like
Shift+R - Correct pitch
Ctrl+R - Reset all Changes

@steve can you pls tag this topic tips-and-tricks ? ty <3

1 Like