What to buy?

Hi!

I was about to buy the UR824 Audio Interface from Thomann: https://www.thomann.de/se/steinberg_ur824.htm

That’s 698 euro.

But then I saw this other deal which seems like you get that same Audio Interface + Cubase Pro 9, BUT for almost the same cost: https://www.thomann.de/se/steinberg_ultimate_cubase_recording_pack.htm

So that’s not much more, just 799 euro.

So what’s the “catch” with this “Steinberg Ultimate Cubase Recording Pack” since for the “almost the same price” as a UR824 you also get Cubase Pro 9 with it?

Just wondering what’s wrong here with the pricing or are the UR824 units different in some way?

/Regards, from Robin

I am in the US and have never used Thomann but I have heard of them plenty and seem to have a good reputation. I don’t think there are different units and the listing seems clear that you get a Cubase Pro, which will qualify for grace period upgrade and includes the dongle. Seems like a good deal to me even if you already have C9.5 (per your sig) because the upgrade is about that much anyway and you’ll actually have a space dongle and license.

Thanks! Got the same answer from Thomann also.

Hello!

One other question I also have about this unit UR824 (which I now have bought!!). I’ve googled around and checked for any info on the subject (below!) on Steinbergs websites…

Question 1: How many outboard gears you can connect to the UR824? I was planning to for example buy a stereo EQ/Compressor (analog hardware) to have on my Master channel. Like this one: Tegeler Audio Manufaktur Creme – Thomann UK Saw an image on Steinbergs website (UR824: The Center of Your Recording | Steinberg) of how “External processing” is connected using S/PDIF, so that’s it? Looks like you can connect a maximum of “2 stereo outboard gears” then, to the UR824?
Question 2: Then, how would I go about to do the “physical connections with the cables”? (are there more than one way to connect this?). Any documents about this?

Since I’m using Cubase Pro 10 as my DAW I guess I then add the connections inside the DAW using “External FX”?

Thanks for any replies!

//Regards, from Robin Gardner (in Stockholm, Sweden).

The Tegeler Creme that you link to dont have SPDIF, only analog connections, so you cant use SPDIF with that one, only analog connections.

UR824 has got 4 pair of analog outputs, and you probably use pair 1/2 for your speakers, so then you got 3 stereo pair to use for outboard gear.
You connect cables from output 3/4 on UR824 to the inputs L/R on your outboard gear, and then from the output L/R on the outboard gear, back to input 3/4 on UR824.
And then as you say, you can adress this effect as an external effect in Cubase.

Ok thanks very much for that info! :slight_smile:

If you’re worried about outboard gear, get yourself a Behringer ada8200 (plugged into the UR824 in ADAT mode) and give yourself another 8 channels. Absolutely astounding value for money - 8 perfectly good sounding channels for around £135.

Thanks for the tip PeppaPig! Nice to know there’s some more options when needed to! I havn’t got any outboards gear as of yet but I’m planning to get a few or more in the future… Like some Preamps (monos and stereos)m but I guess they are no real trouble to connect and monos just take one input channel, while stereo outboard gear is more of a hazzle, like Reverbs, Compressors, EQ’s, etc… Or not a hazzle per say but at least they use up channels on your USB Audio Interface, at least… And I’m now thinking about getting a patchbay too because I hate all technical stuff, Always did really, just a “means-to-an-end” for me… I just wanna record Beautiful music and not deal with any technical stuff, that I hate anyway… :slight_smile: