What would Cubase users miss when using Dorico?

So - Dorico has a mixer, plugin support, expression maps, piano roll, CC automation and notation. That’ brilliant!

So… what would a regular Cubase (or Logic etc) user miss if he were trying to compose and mix an orchestral mockup in Dorico?

I have no idea, as I am not a beta tester, although I would certainly like to be one! :wink: So I can only imagine … I think there will be some midi features not available in Dorico. And certainly, there will be no audio features, which are also essential for good mockups. So, even for a composer/producer only using software instruments, there will still be a reason to use Cubase. But the idea, that this program could be way more flexible in creating mockups does excite me, as that would mean spending most time in a notation program. As a film music composer, I also hope the video engine will be more flexible than in sibelius and more like in cubase … and the ability to sync tempo changes intuitively and in a way that invites for experimentation (yes, as a composer should know what you want, but sometimes it is great to test some things quickly).

Primarily, he will miss audio tracks.

That could be easy to deal with; SB only needs to give Dorico audio tracks first. :slight_smile:

That would indeed place Dorico in a different class to the competition.

I’m certainly hoping that in time (fingers crossed), when video file import/scoring directly to the movie, in addition to the video there will be at least few audio tracks available, as opposed to Sib/Fin currently hosting only the audio track embedded in the video. A no-brainer practical application for multiple audio tracks when scoring a film would be one for the dialogue/FX in the source film, and another for all the temp music (which could be brought in and muted as needed).

What I hope is created is the ability to sync to DAW to utilize the full power of Cubase and Dorico together. I am not sure if Re-wire would be good for this because It would be nice to write tracks from Dorico into Cubase and vis-versa. I almost wish a new protocol would be created to handle this and who knows, this is Stienberg, they do like to innovate.

My blind guess is that Steinberg is more future oriented than that, because they probably know that nobody really wants to use two apps when composing. They want to use one.

Maybe. Adobe took a different approach. When creating a book you prepare diagrams in Illustrator, photographs in PhotoShop, then do the layout in InDesign.

(Well, I don’t! But professionals in that field, who can afford an Adobe subscription, do.)