What's the easiest way to archive and future-proof this project?

I have a 32 track Cubase project that is (finally) done. Each track has different plugins and effects, etc. I want to basically replace the entire project with a new archive project where all the audio tracks are rendered with EQ, effects, etc baked in so it is a completely clean slate of stems on otherwise blank channels. That way when I pull the project up ten years from now I don’t need to worry about whether I still have all the same plugins, etc etc etc. What’s the most efficient way to do this? Thanks

I’d use the export multiple tracks option under export settings in file menu, Then use the backup project option also under the file menu. :slight_smile:

1 Like

See this excellent Sound On Sound article: https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/cubase-archiving-projects

3 Likes

Thank you. What’s the downside of exporting mono tracks in stereo?

Perhaps larger files, but sonically, none that I can think of as long as you’re aware of it.

Actually if it really is a mono signal in a stereo file, e.g. the left & right sides are exactly the same, then the stereo file will be the same size as its mono counterpart. If not it should be double the size.

I see. thanks for the explanation. So what is the technical difference between the mono and the stereo file in this case? it seems if you have Sound on the left channel, and identical sound on the right channel, that you would have twice the amount of sound, and that’s twice the volume, but that’s not the case. Why?

I have to do many remixes and this solution works fine for me:
I usually bounce each track 2 times, first, dry without inserts, second, including all effects. So you can easily compare your edited Track with the original.
And third I bounce the pure FX signal (you have to activate the “L” button in cubase)

1 Like