Whats the point of still using Instrument Racks?

You can hide/show the Rack with Alt+T…

obviously Mauri.

But when you SHOW the Rack to actually use it, then its almost double the size on the screen it used to be in previous versions of Cubase (6 and less) and its unable to be resized back to being smaller so it can reside on the desktop permanently in the same size as it used to do.

so now its either TOO BIG but you can see it, or its invisible. Thats my point.

i agree. but i very much doubt there’s an ulterior motive. after all, since you can add blank midi tracks and route them to instrument tracks now, the instrument rack is as important for orientation within intrument tracks as before. it’s just an unfortunate display of steinberg’s deficiency in the GUI/user experience department. it feels to me a proper vector resizing of the instrument rack is coming though.

would be awsome lukas eh. I guess im old-skool by still using the Rack. actually i tend to use it some of the time and VST tracks some of the time as well together.

lets see if they come to the party and vector resize it.

On the other side… I NEVER use Instrument tracks.

I very often have multiple midi tracks hitting the same VST instrument and you cant do that using MIDI tracks.

you can do that now.

What’s the point of (still) using Instrument Tracks ?

The 2 main reasons that I use racks instead of instrument tracks for multi-out VSTis are:

1. Whatever you name the first output track of an instrument track also becomes the name of the parent instrument track. So, for drum VSTis, you end up with 2 “Kick” tracks. Kinda silly and annoying.

2. You can’t add pictures to multi-out instrument tracks in the project window. You can add them in the mixer window, but they don’t appear in the project window. Using rack tracks allows you to add pictures to both the project and mixer windows.

I just wish that you could save racks as track templates.

actually thats an awsome idea richlum…a preset system for the VST instrument Rack. so theres a preset name window at the top of the rack and you can just choose a preset and it loads up your unique combination of VSTis in the rack. wow that would be really useful.

add that to my suggestion of a preset system for the “Export - Audio Mixdown” window

Steinberg?

Yes.
Not just the combination of VSTis, but the multi out routing, including track names, colors, pictures and grouping.

absolutely…should include all the settings related to the VSTis in it. including the sounds loaded as well of course.

nice one richlum. i would really like to see this. to drive the point home you should make a seprarate thread with this request feature and put it in requests…