When I switch to mono in control room it still plays as stereo ?

I’m trying to check my mix in mono.
I enabled control room and switched to mono but it still plays as stereo. What am I doing wrong ?

Obviously something in your setup is wrong. What exactly is hard to tell with almost no useful info given…
With 300+ posts and registered 2013 one could have thought, you learned how to post a decent problem description by now… :unamused:
Fir a start: simply enabling CR is probably not enough. Configuration is explained in the manual’s dedicated chapter, and dozens of threads on the forums.

Just a shot in the dark (yes, it is dark as sennilenni already statet, because you provide only very “thin” information…):
Could it be that your output bus is connected to the ports of your interface where the monitor speakers are connected? This would as well cause the “mono ignorance” as doubling the signal level of the monitor speakers

and ‘obviously, one could have thought that with hundreds of posts’ you would have learned how not to be so condescending and patronising.’ :unamused:
You guys make a great double act :wink:
bff29c147aa1e3658ee87c13ff7ddb75--statler-and-waldorf-grumpy-old-men.jpg

did the hints help you? :slight_smile:

1. Go to Studio/AudioConnections/Control Room
  2. Monitor 1 will show up to the party, IN the Audio Device box make sure you have your interface selected. In the BUS name column hit the Down Arrow, you should see Left and Right under Monitor 1. Go to the right and make sure your outputs are correct going to your interface in the Device Port Column, left and right to your speakers
  3. Open the Control Room and select the MONO button below the red volume knob

*Outside of that you may have something routed funky in your Project

**I can reproduce this behavior here in the Control Room if I have setup a Heaphones using outputs 1/2
Monitor 1 using outputs 3/4. Same thing so its a ROUTING issue.

Last check, check your Downmix Presets, make the first one Stereo and the Second MONO, now when you hit the stereo button at the bottom it will switch to your mono preset and back and forth

Hope this helps

Thanks for this - is it not strange that there’s not a really super quick one button press to be able to listen to your mix in mono like most there daws rather thanhavin to set up control room and what not?

is it not strange that there’s not a really super quick one button press to be able to listen to your mix in mono like most there daws rather thanhavin to set up control room and what not?

One simple option I can think of is to add a plugin that will create mono output to your output bus and just turn it on when you want mono. I’m not sure if there is a plugin supplied with Cubase that can do it, but a free one that comes to mind is the Ozone Imager from iZotope, which in addition to widening, can also be set to mono.

Agreed, I click ONE button in my other DAW, done. That said, the Control Room is a super beast with CueMixes, multiple speaker setup, etc

I was doing this and then someone said it’s wasn’t true mono’ whatever rhat means ?

I was doing this and then someone said it’s wasn’t true mono’ whatever rhat means ?
[/quote]

I think that idea of true mono is, that You shall use single mono speaker to check mono compatibility. When You are using pair of multi-ported speakers, You are not avoiding comb filtering issues and possible phase shift between channels (caused after your soundcard). But how much reasonable it is, I dont know. :slight_smile:

Some people get too involved in the details instead of putting their energy into just doing the job.

It can make things harder if summing the channels changes the volume. You can prove this by creating 2 mono tracks with identical content, panned hard left and right. Then run them through the summing plugin and make sure it sounds the same on or off.

There can also be the issue that JSL mentioned with regard to using 2 speakers, but if you’re in the sweet spot and your room is treated properly this should be a non-issue. Even if your room is less than ideal, it’s still valid. If there are significant left/right phase problems that change the mix when summed you’ll still hear them.

ok cool cheers