When is "Reset to Default" not a "Reset to Factory"?

Dorico’s Options dialogues offer many ways of dealing with custom changes - they can be saved as defaults (for all future projects), or removed and reset to factory.

But I’m wondering whether such liberty also applies to other Dorico dialogues – for example, the Edit Instrument Names dialogue contains the following features:

“Save as default for instrument” seems clear enough – it allows one to make any edit the default for all future projects.

However, “Reset to Default” is less clear to me. On the one hand, the manual (3.5) says it:

Removes all your changes to the names of the selected instrument type and reverts them to the current default settings.

This seems clear: use “Reset to Default” if you’ve made some edits in the current project, but want to undo those edits, and return to the Dorico defaults.

But the manual then says:

If you changed the default name for an instrument type . . . after adding an instrument, resetting its names changes them to your new default names. . .

Does this mean that once an edit has been made the new default, this new default cannot be undone – even in future projects?

Thanks for any clarification!

In the Edit Instrument Names dialog, Reset to Default indeed resets the instrument names in the current project to the factory default for the current project, but it doesn’t remove those changes from your user library. When you start a new project subsequently, it will continue to use those changes.

At the moment there is indeed no button you can click in the software’s interface to remove those changes from your user library, but this is something that will be addressed in future when Dorico has more general capabilities for editing information about instruments.

Thanks, Daniel!

So, for now, a workaround might simply be to manually change the new names back to the Dorico defaults for those names, and hit “Save as default for instrument” ?

Yes, you could certainly do that. Or if you’re feeling very brave you could manually excise them from the userlibrary.xml file in your %APPDATA%\Steinberg\Dorico 3.5 folder.

1 Like

Thanks Daniel.

Forgive me, but this leads me to these related questions:

I just edited the names for Violin (Vn solo) and Violins (Vns 1), and, for each, did a “Save as default for instrument” . This led to two questions, and a problem:

questions:
These two name changes led to the addition of at least thirty more lines of code in the userlibrary.xml file (which now includes a list of all playing techniques, and clefs used, for string instruments).

• Is this to be expected?

• Should I then delete all those new lines of code, if I wish to return to the original, default names?

Problem:
After editing the two instrument names (Vn solo, and Vns 1, above), I opened a new project, and loaded one solo player “Violin” and one section player “Violin”. But what Dorico did was give both the solo and section players the same name (“Vn solo”)! (Note: I was careful, in each instance to click on ‘singular’ and ‘plural’ names.)

This leads me to wonder whether what is really happening is that a change to the name “violin” – whether that be a solo player or section player – ends up changing all uses of the name “violin” – for both solo and section players - in new projects. Am I doing this incorrectly, or does this really mean that there is no way to give individual instrument names to solo violin and section violin instruments?

I would definitely advise working on a copy of your file and backing up the user library before starting. You probably already know this.

Thanks, Derrek! I would have known this, had I been thinking! :wink:

Hmm … Thou makest a lie of thine own name …

Hahaha! :smile:
On the other hand, the name is thinkingmusic – not thinkingcomputers! :wink:

2 Likes

Dorico doesn’t currently make use of the single and plural names you can edit in the dialog, though this has long been planned.

If you’re savvy enough to parse the userlibrary.xml file and want to go back to the factory default, then I’d recommend simply excising those entries in their entirety from the file.

Thanks, Daniel.

Re. that “problem” (below) – does this mean that a change to the name “violin” – whether that be a solo player or section player – ends up changing all uses of the name “violin” – for both solo and section players - in new projects? (e.g., changing Violin solo player to “Vln solo” results in ALL Violin entries - solo or section – showing up as “Vln solo”.)

Yes, a violin instrument held by a single player or a section player is the same instrument type, with the same name.

Thanks for clarifying this, Daniel.

Summing up – for whatever it’s worth:

In Dorico 3.5, differentiating ‘solo’ vs ‘section’ instruments by changing their names via the Edit Instrument Name dialogue does work – but for that project alone.

Preserving those changes for future projects, using “Save as Default for Instrument”, does not work, because Dorico will then apply that name change to all versions of that “Instrument”, whether solo or sectional. (E.g., Using Edit Name Change to change a solo “Violin” to “Vln solo” will – in future projects – render all “Violin” instruments - solo and sectional - as “Vln solo”.)

[Later. . . Just discovered that Dorico’s divisi feature can automatically divide, e.g., the first violins into a solo violin and gli altri (“the others”), complete with clear differentiation of the two elements in the score, and - via the “voices” feature (Enabling independent voice playback) - also in Play mode. As well, the solo violin can also be given a solo violin patch (Assigning instruments/voices to endpoints). If only I had spent the months (years?) necessary to study the complete manual beforehand! image ]

(Please correct me if I’m wrong about any of this!)