When is the next Nuendo update?

Easiest workaround is to keep a copy of N7 and use that, but I agree, it was a brilliant and necesarry feature that I don’t understand why they deleted.

I don’t think Steinberg deleted it. QuickTime was end of live and could not be used anymore. As a consequence, Steinberg had to develop their own video engine from scratch, which is a major undertaking. They just didn’t get around to implementing video export as a feature. As we heard, it’s on the feature list for Nuendo 9. I guess pulling QuickTime from under everyone by Apple was not the nice thing to do so I don’t fault Steinberg for having to develop their own video engine that takes time and engineers.

But from a communication perspective, and for the pro level class Nuendo plays in, it’s not the nice thing to do toyour customers releasing a version that misses video export that many people rely on in their workflows, not saying anything, letting your users find out and suffer workarounds, and only bringing it back in the next major paid upgrade. If anything, as a N8 customer, you should get any feature that was there in previous versions back free of charge.

I read this thread as if Nuendo ever had video export in a previous version.
That is not correct.
We never had the possibility to export video + audio.

I also doubt that is working well or at all in PT. All the people I spoke do their exports in QT, because of codec and speed issues.
But it might be that I was hearing biassed stories

Fredo

Dear Fredo,
in PT it works perfect. I know cause I use also protools and this is also my very time consuming work around.

Will be it implemented? I think I read about it somewhere…
It’s useful, even necessary at all because if Nuendo is a tool for post (it’s, no doubt), a video export should be available.

You can export audio from FinalCut Pro. It’s no necessary to work with a DAW if you want to send audio from a clip for synchronizing purposes, for example.

It would increase our user experience and lots of render and cross-application work would not be necessary.

Thanks.

So even in N7, you have to do what’s called “Replace Audio in Video File”, where you bounce out the audio mix, and then in another step you select the audio file, and then you select the video file, and it replaces the audio in the video. And it only works on the entire video file. A bit cumbersome compared to others.
I can confirm that in PT, Logic, DP and Reaper, you can simply select a section of video, then choose “Bounce to Quicktime” or “Export audio to movie” (in Logic), and it will bounce out a copy of JUST THE SELECTED SECTION in a single command. They all do it, except Nuendo, which currently in V8 doesn’t even do the more cumbersome Replace Audio in Video File.
I do this all the time in PT and Logic - never had an issue and it is a great timesaver, at least for my workflow.

Dunno why I’ve been told that they (the PT users I spoke) were also using QT …

But there is no doubt that we need this feature.
And it is “on the list”. As Timo announced for Nuendo 9.

Don’t want to sound defensive, but I think I will still prefer doing this “on the side” in another application.
When working in a DAW, you are using per definition a video format which is too large to be send over the internet.
So you still need to convert to another format, like H264 or mp4. You can’t “quickly” send a ProRes or DnDx by mail.
Having done that a lot of times in QT, this takes an aweful amount of time.
I feel nothing for a cafeine-addiction if you know what I mean.

So unless this video export-thing is (much) faster than it is in QuickTime, it’s a no-go for me.
But for smaller stuff, like commercials, it would be super-handy.

Fredo

I seem to recall it was originally supposed to be in version 8.x. It’s a bit troubling to hear it’s now slipping.

Having said that though, I agree that for long-form content it may be faster to do it in another app, such as Resolve actually.

Then again, it sort of reminds me of what I said before which was that Resolve now including Fairlight allowing for at least final mixdowns from splits or stems might push some to spend more in that app than PT and Nuendo… which isn’t a great thing…

I don’t agree with that description.

The decision to use QT was one that Steinberg made, and once that was done there was a dependency on Apple. Apple in turn is known for just dropping technology, so that was a somewhat questionable move in my opinion, but perhaps it could be justified at the time. However, once that was created, I think the rational thing to do would have been to start the development of a better Apple-independent video engine, and it seems that wasn’t done until Apple dropped support for QT.

And so lastly: QT for playback still works just fine in earlier versions of Nuendo 7, so we can’t blame Apple for this. All they did was cease support for it because of the QT player vulnerability. But since the player isn’t needed for Nuendo 7.x QT video playback it wasn’t Apple’s fault that we’re now left without this capability.

I think they were clear with that it would be missing from at least the first release of Nuendo 8. I seem to recall someone saying it would come later in v8 though.

I think you’re right but confirmed by Timo in another thread that it will not be available until V9.

I agree with the idea that for long form rendering, Resolve or other options are fine and probably better even than going directly from the DAW. But for short form rendering, say just wanting to shoot out a 2 minute section of a full length film, the DAW should be able to do that - just for reference usage. I know that at least Reaper can even convert video format at the render stage. Size would not be an issue in these cases.

I also agree that this is not Apple’s fault - because as I said, the other DAWS can still do it. This seems like a decision by Steinberg that simply wasn’t carried out in time.

Just my opinion : )

PS - Fredo I want a set of those earphones you have in the pic…

Were are sure not talking about rendering full lengths.
When working on fast and hard productions you need to deliver fast sketch of a cue or scene or a shot.
This is not luxury but essential. sometimes it could be a deal breaker.
PT actually do it fast in a small size file goes to “wetransfer”

I moved from cubase 7 to Nuendo and sell my cubase license…I feel like a fool that moves from a good DAW to a Titanic one… :frowning:
Also I bought PT 12 HD, I use it for mixing my music (film composer) and the difference between DAWS is really big, I’m still using Steinberg products because PT midi stinks and I don’t want to learn another Daw like Logic, but after spending 2.000 Euros on nuendo 7 + the update I feel cheated
:astonished:

I would need wait for Nuendo NINE to get this? Even if I were to pay the huge amount of money to “upgrade” from C9.5 to N8, which doesn’t even have some of the improvements and features of C9.5?

This is not how you build a loyal customer base. I’m out…I’ve had it with my tryout with Steinberg, and I know no ones cares probably. :slight_smile: But I do wish everyone the best of luck with this weird company – they need someone to come in and shake things up in a good way.

That’s the problem right there. Steinberg just made more money off of you.

They should just reprogram their software so that one Nuendo license opens either Cubase or Nuendo. That would solve some of the “issues” people are having with the release schedule. But, less money for Steinberg however.

Yes according to what Timo said in another thread, responding to the question that I asked about bouncing audio to video. This feature will NOT appear until Nuendo 9.

The fact that that being able to export video with audio (100% essential for almost any composer who works to video) is not even coming to Cubase (someone said that somewhere here, right?) yet Nuendo is always behind Cubase with many other things, leaves me feeling quite angry with this company right now. :frowning:

Regardless of this feature, there seems to be something weird going on with this new video engine. Somehow if you import a video into your project it stays in the “buffer” even after you close it.

An example, I do a voice session in one studio with a video clip. Then close the project, but not Nuendo, open the project in another studio to mix it and it won’t play the video until I fully close Nuendo in the other studio.
Or,even worse, you’re switching between projects on the same Nuendo system, then copy the video clip from one project to the other. The video plays fine on your timeline but isn’t copied to the pool! I did this today and it made the whole project corrupt, couldn’t undo or back up or anything to help it.

Is there any News about the release date?, which bugs will be fix?

Good question…

will we see a fully working Nuendo 8 this year? - just kinding …

Will we see an update that might at least bring some of the tools back to live again?

Will we see it any soon?

all the best

Old release date was end Jan / early Feb and pushed back to mid Feb.

Mid Feb they found a critical bug in testing and sent Nuendo back to dev, then testing again, saying it would take another 4 weeks.

So don‘t expect anything before mid March I guess.