When is the next update coming out?

All the other mastering programs have this functionality.

I agree…

WL is a GREAT MASTERING DAW it should not become an “all in one” program. If you want to do mixing and multi-track WL is probably not a good choice. It does what it does very well and the more “bloat” you add to it the less effective it becomes as a mastering DAW. One can now work back and forth with Cubase and that program can do what some of the people are asking WL to do. Let’s keep WL a GREAT mastering DAW and let people use another program for multi-track recording and mixing. MTCW

This has nothing to do with multitrack or mixing, (although other mastering programs all do multichannel surround, as does Wavelab.). This is about basic commonplace routing. Independent input and output routing that don’t interfere with each other, like the Audio Input plugin interferes with montage playback.

name me some?

This whole discussion was already done very recently:

Soundblade, Pyramix, Sequoia, Sadie. At least for input monitoring on tracks. And input effects afaik.

Incorrect. Currently, Wavelab will not allow bypassing the input plugin.

I guess we now know when the next update is coming out.What Is New in WaveLab Pro 11 | Steinberg

Toader maybe you know this already, but if not, until this situation changes you could use the External Gear plugin to do the same thing as the Audio Input plugin, but with bypass. If you set the ASIO Plugin settings output in Prefs to an unused output on your interface (dummy output), insert the External Gear plugin, then bypass the entire Master Section, you’ll get the A/B that you want when playing mastered files in the Montage vs audio input with input plugins. You can put the Master Section bypass on a shortcut key. After A/B-ing, when you go to Record, just play a long section in the montage while recording, or put a marker far beyond the end of the files so the montage will continue playing long enough for the Record. The montage has to be “playing” while you’re recording. In the record dialog, set “record what is played back”. I’ve tried this, both the pre-record A/B, and the Record, and it works.

I hope the situation changes soon with more standard input and output routing so you can monitor and record with plugins, with this input vs montage output audition, and do it without this workaround.

I realize the External Gear and Audio Input plugin probably have to stay because of legacy, but I hope an alternate input strip with input effects can be added as an alternate way of recording with plugins, and monitoring that input, that doesn’t kill montage and file playback like the Audio Input plugin does.

I’d really like some type of instant “bypass” for the input plugin or external gear plugin… so I can switch instantly between monitoring the incoming signal (the track I’m currently mastering), and just listening to other tracks in the montage (to use them as a reference against the track I’m currently mastering - so I can match levels for an album, etc).

A lot of these feature requests we’ve posted about many times in the past… I doubt PG forgot us… > :slight_smile: > Maybe it’s helpful to keep voting for our ideas though… hehe

Compare functionality is high on the todo list. All I can say now.

Thanks PG! By the way, I’m really impressed by Wavelab 9.5 so far… i’m just getting familiar with some of the new features now… looking forward to doing some mastering work on some upcoming projects in the near future!

This would be pretty awesome…

And, of course, Pyramix, Sadie and even Sound Forge can import and export DSD and support MIDI Surfaces like Mackie Control or HUI