When to compensate for latency

Quote:
"then took it home to work on Pro Tools LE, and the first thing I always do is to check for latency, and I noticed that Auto-Tune was giving me 1380 samples of latency on every track it was on, so I compensated for that by hitting my great friend Alt-H, one of my favourite shortcuts in Pro Tools, and moving all the vocals 1380 samples earlier.” - Source: Sound On Sound (2012)

Aware that Cubase will adjust for latency during playback.

Wonder when it is necessary to adjust for latency.

For responses, please provide potential scenarios to adjust latency and explain the reasoning.

For me this is a great question but one that is very difficult to answer. One of the main problems i see here is the quality of plug development. I can have two inserts on two different channels running two different compressors yet on drum loop sounds slighly off. Seems to happen more when i use some budget compressors. Cubase is good for latency compensation but i still believe cubase L’Comp to be only as good as the source you give it.

Before purchasing any effects plugins ill use a demo and the first thing i do is plug into an insert with drums and check how the pluging effects lentency. Many plugins dont make it pass this stage with me!

Interesting subject…

Cubase and all modern DAW compensate the latencies introduced by hardware or plugins by itself.
To record with low latency, you can use direct monitoring.

“For responses, please provide potential scenarios to adjust latency and explain the reasoning.”

“…compensated for that by hitting my great friend Alt-H, one of my favourite shortcuts in Pro Tools, and moving all the vocals 1380 samples earlier.”

Indeed, still wonder if this kind of latency adjustment behavior is still necessary in the Cubase 13 environment.

1 Like

There is no reason to adjust latency, the host does it for us.

It’s not even necessary in ProTools for many years already.

Understood, thanks.

It still does not fully adjust when busses are used, isn’t it?