when to start using dorico as primary program

this is fun. We are at the beginning of a major new computer music notation program with only excitement in front of us. Everyday we are discovering new ways to use it from the forum and the poor, overworked support staff (it truly has been fun, and I would rather have a stable opening release, however missing key ingredients, than an overstuffed manual to nowhere).
It did occur to me that perhaps we could (at lease for a short while) go back to our original method: pen and paper. naaaaa. Painful to think about it, but on the other hand I could do anything.

the problem: at what point do we completely jump on board with Dorico as our composition program. after working with the interface, I really like it. the idea of entering notes and rhythms without measure then putting it all together works for me (not that this is the first program to do this, but it seems to do it so well). My problem: I am starting a multi-movement song cycle fro chorus and piano and desperately need the piano ped markings. I know that they will come, but I need them now. Don’t want to go back to Sibelius. don’t want to use text indications like pedal down and ped up, etc and only will have to edit them out later. got the idea to write the work in dorico then use xml to import to sibelius. it did a good job keeping the measured and free sections separate and sensible, but it removed the X clef for the unmeasured section. could then add the ped markings and magically hoped something might export back to dorico as pedals. no such luck (I guess I really didn’t expect it to be there); but then, I was 10 before I stopped believing in Santa Claus). If I can maybe use a percussion clef in sibelius that would not look too odd or just mark those sections “freely” I could also use other things in Sibelius that will come later in Dorico as hide things like bar lines and cut-out score. decisions, decisions: but I think the work flow in dorico as a compositional environment is so superior to sibelius that I might just take the plunge.

what are your needs and if you are thinking of taking the plunge what are your workarounds?

I intend to only use Dorico from now on. I think the program is brilliant, and really fun to use. Ok, there is a lot missing, but I will do what I can, and then add gradually as more features become available. There is so much to learn, and it will take time to get all the Key Commands into muscle memory, so I do not have to think when I compose.

I have written music by hand for many many years, and Dorico is the first program that I feel works “with” me and not against me. I feel happy, and it’s pretty cool to have been involved from day one.

oh for the days of the drawing boards, ozalid transparent paper with music lines (that could be erased) on the back and pen and ink. it looked beautiful; then time to insert a measure. naaa, I didn’t really want that insert. give dorico. I agree that the work flow seems very natural and without the input stumbling blocks of sibelius, et al. My problem is that once I have exported each movement to sibelius and use its features I no longer can export back to dorico to use the engrave mode, especially neat since I probably am not going to write the individual movts in any order and each will have different notation specifics.would like to use what dorico has and wait, but you can’t write piano music without piano pedals. but then I would be saddled with a finished work finished in sibelius, which clearly will be an old program for me very soon.