When will ties be added to notes in 2nd endings?

There are so many times I have to use the LV tie to make a note look like it has been tied from the last note before to the 1st ending. Now I notice in Dorico 4. that when I move the LV tie on the part, it does not move it on the score. In Sibelius, I never had to do this. It added the tie for me. I keep thinking this feature will show up any day, but so far… I am still waiting.
(Just needed to vent)

2 Likes

We are all waiting. FWIW, this was added in Sibelius not so long ago (3 years?)
[Edit] I stand corrected by Daniel Spreadbury himself and am very happy about it. So there still is a quest to win with those second ending ties :sweat_smile:

If you either set the property scope to Globally prior to moving the l.v. tie, or select it in Engrave mode and propagate its properties after moving it, that will affect all layouts it appears in (ie score and parts).

Sibelius never has and still does not add the tie for you in the second ending. The ability to draw a partial tie into a note was added in Sibelius 2020.something.

That’s not to excuse the fact that Dorico does not do this for you either: it’s something that we certainly plan to address in a future version, but doing it properly is no small feat.

1 Like

You are right! Both of my versions (older) of Sibelius and Finale don’t add the tie to the 2nd ending. I guess I was dreaming thinking that Sibelius added the tie. Question: What is the main purpose of the LV tie? For me, it’s creating the tie into the 2nd ending. If that is the main purpose, the perhaps Dorico could put the tie before the note instead of after it. Maybe it could be setup to be either? Just a thought.

The main purpose of the l.v. tie is to represent an l.v. note, that is, laissez vibrer: “let ring”. E.g. as covered in this Scoring Notes article (which I would love to see the Dorico version added to, just for comparison).

Actually, Finale does add the tie to the second ending, in a manner of speaking. You must enter the backwards tie when entering the music (“tie to previous note”) which is no big deal. However, 25% of the time it unaccountably fails to work and a workaround is necessary.