where do people upload/share their cover tunes?

Of course. I just gave my interpretations. If anyone can point out I didn’t get the things right, I’m open to listen … and fight back :smiling_imp:

At least in my country they are. And as far as I know this applies to most of the other countries with free economy also.

Me too! No need to declare a war … unless someone starts to claim some property (material or immaterial) is “public domain” unless it’s “locked”.

Exactly. I’m not 100% sure where the legal borderline is (because it varies from one country to another) … but nobody is coming to sue you if you just give copies to your family/friends … but you’ll be at risk if you share it with everyone, no matter if you’re making profit or not.

Same here. I’ve done some covers of well known acts (the one I’m most proud of is Finnish translation of “Helplessly Hoping” by Crosby,Stills&Nash) but only distributed these to my friends. Only cover I’ve made public was my old friend’s song (which we used to play with our band 20 years ago), of which I made a video into YouTube without his permission. I’m 99.99% sure he doesn’t mind.

exactly steve, jarno doesn’t seem to be getting it. and no, this isn’t the world we want, its the one we’re stuck with. I certainly hope he has all his ducks in a row when it comes to his studio gear. my insurance company informed me many moons ago to detail and send any info/pics of my gear to be properly protected and compensated in the event of theft. otherwise it could be a very bad day, and just because I stood for some silly principle of not wanting to name my possessions, yikes!!!
-tag your music properly
-pay the copyright fee to have your works registered, it only cost me $50 to the ministry
-register individual songs with bmi or socan, pretty well a free service that takes only moments to apply, plus you get a neat magazine with lots of helpful hints on protecting your music. and the bonus is you may even be paid if its used. I had a song called “pump room” out there, I had no idea it was used in a weight lifting commercial, socan found it for me and paid me the royalties.
-take a moment to read the agreement of any omd you upload to, then decide
-in some cases you may also choose to only upload shortened demos
etc etc etc…

and of course, don’t do any of it if you don’t want to or feel its the principle of the thing :laughing:

Don’t worry about my gear. I have quite effective burglary alarm system. And it’s tested. There was quite hassle going on in my studio once, caused by a acoustic tile falling off from the control room ceiling, while I was in the countryside riding horses and out of reach of the phone: security guards everywhere, my sister (second person in the call-chain) alarmed to the spot, etc …

cool, I should do that to. now that you mention it I’ll look into it. so you have it tethered to a dispatch system, is there a monthly fee or how does that work.

Yes. Monthly fee: €32 FLAT … no extra for any real/false alarm. Motion detectors/cameras, fire alarms, door alarms. All alarms go to the dispatch centre via two channels: net & SMS messages.

Steve, I know this post has been up for a while, but can I add something.

At the approximate cost of registration, which is around 20$ …why dont you properly clear the cover…It soemtimes can be a minefield, people uderstand, but the systems have been streamlined over teh last year or so, to allow cover versions to get clearance thru the proper channels quicker.

You have to deal with the original artists Collections agency (MCPS/PRS in the UK…best going thru Harry Fox agency in the US)

costs of up t0 1000 copies is quite minimal. so its worth at least enquiring to get teh track youve done properly cleared.

Then CD baby etc , is at your disposal. or any other distribution system you wish to use.

Even if something is allowed as public domain, or licensed in Creative Commons, copyright is always reserved.

The problem has only become icky due to the rise of (inferior) digital works being made widely available.

An ideal situation might be to write music and allow anyone to play it freely or perform (subject to royalties) and when a recording is made so long as it isn’t distributed on a commercial basis then it isn’t subject to copyright but of course the latter would be at the discretion of the writer(s) but it might be easier to stop counterfiet productions as the fear of litigation would be substantially reduced however it seems music is more often than not about performers or artists, producers etc rather than a song as an entity unto itself so while it may seem idealistic it is surely not impossible.

Limelight

:stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks Sherz, thats what I was referring to, but for the life of me,couldnt remeber the sites name!..

right Steve, get your tracks sorted!!!..put the coffee pot on & start recording!.. :laughing:

Really? I mean, REALLY? How petty.

I beg your pardon, but did you pay for some sort of license which grants only to you special permission to post that particular link?

I hope with whatever credit you feel you must deserve for having posted that link first in this or any thread serves you well in the future, although, I have to admit - it makes you look petty, that is, in a ‘sucking’ way to claim licensing requirements is strict message for you to deliver exclusively. pppppft :laughing: :unamused:

Who cares who posted the link ‘first?’ It isn’t a cover song, (doesn’t require a license) as it’s a message which bears repeating.

Aside from what Nick suggests, I’m wondering why a person couldn’t simply contact the artist or publisher and just ask permission to record a cover, stipulating that it will be posted on the internet but won’t be for sale. That’s what soundclick.com requires. Of course, you STILL won’t be able to link to it here, but you could at other sites. You could also just tell us about it and if we’re interested, we’ll navigate over to check it out

I learnt a new portmanteau word recently which seems really appropriate to use at this point: “chillax”

:sunglasses:

Exactly, but unfortunately, you missed a more truly appropriate point for its application before assuming exclusive rights to post public domain information to ‘chillax’ your sense of smug self-importance before rudely responding with a raspberry to someone who simply happened to share the same valid information.

In the spirit of originality, I’d like to suggest a portmanteau applicable to your attitude for you to combine in order for you to cool your smug jets: ‘a-hole’ and ‘reticence’: “assence” Feel free to use it without license… or if you prefer, check-out Limelight to see if you need to get a mechanical license to use it (you shouldn’t need one).

:wink:

Guys!

It doesn’t matter now, all that matters is we are wiser for sharing what we know about dark arts and the arcane world of copyright.

Cheerio good folk.

Actually, speaking of missing points, when we were kids we used to play this fun card game called ‘snap!’
Essentially when someone turns over a card that matches a card already face up on another player’s pile, players race to be the first to call “Snap!”.

:sunglasses:

Indeed.