Which are you using more Instrument Track or Instrument Rack

Aloha v,

I use MIDI plugs (like arpeggiators) on Instrument Tracks by inserting
the plug right on the track.

I believe there are 4 MIDI inserts.

Works fine.
Is this what you mean?
{‘-’}

I think the Track Instruments comes to its limits when unsing multible out VSTs:

For example, i’m using Maschine 2.0 as a drumsampler. To have the ability of mixing the drumsounds via MixConsole, i use the multible out feature of the VST (e.g. Kick = Out 1/2, Snare = Out 3/4, HiHat = Out 5/6). In the Rack Instrument it looks like that for the Arranger and the MixConsole:
Rack Instrument.png
When using the same setup in a Track Instrument, it looks like this:
Track Instrument.png
As you can see, the Arranger and MixConsole don’t mach each other, because the first out of the Track Instrument is some kind of hybrid MIDI Track/Audio Output. But i don’t want to name my Track Instrument ‘Kick’ so that it is correct in the MixConsole, nether want to name my Kick Mixerchannel ‘Drums’ so it is correct in the Arranger…any ideas?

I fooled around with the new Instrument tracks but it’s Instrument rack for me!

I am using Instrument RACK. I bounce between Studio One and Cubase quite a lot depending on project but recently got very sick and tired of how Studio One handles items within it’s mixer when using multi-vst’s such as VE PRO and Kontakt.

The problem is it treats them all as one unit. So you can’t color code them properly (if you go yellow ALL MIXER TRACKS that have anything to do with your VST go yellow). It’s highly annoying when trying to break down by sections. Not to mention it screws up the order as well.

This caused me to come back over to Cubase on this project and I first used “instrument track” from the F11 screen and it produced the same results as Studio One. I was so angry and disappointed I had wasted so many days of re-setting all this crap up only to find out it’s working the same (later finding it’s as intended).

Then I “accidentally” found the fix by trying Instrument RACK (I didn’t even notice it at first, it was a lucky mis-click of my mouse while in the F11 screen). Hmm, what is this? I spent the evening setting it up and thank you sweet jesus. It allowed all 32 outputs to be seperately color coded and configured!!

That is when I realized that Studio One only handles “Instrument Tracks” just like the new Cubase Track Instrument(including multiple output VST’s). So it has done for a while what Cubase just started doing, but yet, Cubase goes further by giving me what I needed and didn’t know it (RACKS).

So for me, Instrument Rack rules them all! I am very happy with the RACKS right now and hopefully I don’t hit a limitation with my workflow. Add this to the visibility feature, hide all the midi tracks in the mixer window and you are good to go!

Maestro2be

If I put the BFD drum VSTi (which does generate midi) on either an Instrument track or in the Rack, BFD then appears as another midi input device that I can access from any Instrument or midi track. So it works either way.