Which audio monitors are you guys using with Cubase??

haha I just remembered my trusty Tascam PortaOne > Panasonic boombox I made my first mixes with. Talking about mixing into a compressor!!! :laughing: But it took some time to realize that it was the “autolevel” thingie built into the boombox that created these … unpredictable results :laughing: :blush: It didn’t sound all BAD though :confused:

Then I got a HiFi Video as a master tracker that at least sounded somewhat like what I’ve just heard in the mix. I also got a tape deck for duplication in an era when MP3 wasn’t even born haha!

sorry, back to the monitors

My Klipsch promedia 2.1 speakers broke down some weeks ago so I have bought new monitoring equipment.
Nothing fancy but very much better especially in the mid tone area. More revealing so to speak, hehe
The new gear:

Argon Subwoofwer:
http://www.hifiklubben.no/produkter/hoy … r_sort.htm

Mordaunt Short 10i speakers:
http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers … 94crx.aspx

Denon Stereo Amp:
http://www.avreview.co.uk/news/article/mps/uan/3080

Kim :slight_smile:

Adam A7s - Really revealing.

Some Yamaha YSY-M10 multimedia thingies to check compatibility with grot-boxes

Final test on the B&W Floorstanders in the lounge.

In answer to the poster who pointed out we don’t mix for high-end listeners, I fundamentally disagree. You should be aiming to mix so the end result sounds great whatever it’s played on, whether that’s some enormous PMC XBDS system costing thousands, or a pair of generic iPod earbuds.

Doesn’t matter that the vast majority will never hear all your nuances. Someone might, and if your mix is flawed in some way that is exposed on a high quality system, it might also have that flaw exposed on something a good deal more mundane.

My monitor chain is far from being the last word in transparency, but it’s pretty good and I’ll always be aspiring to better it if the opportunity/affordability arrises.

Why else would Abbey Road and it’s ilk spend thousands on their monitoring chain?

Event ASP8 (studio)

KEF Reference (reality check)

We used to mix into a tin bucket attatched to a darning needle cutting into a revolving platter of beef-dripping, turned by a team of oxen.

But tell this to the kids these days, they’d never believe you :mrgreen:

Ohhhhhhhh! You were lucky!

Back in my day … before there was light … we mixed using a shard of obsidian lava as a lathe, into a swirling quagmire of primordial, primitive, single-cell hammond-organisms drifting along on the boiling-hot tide driven by poisonous effluvia from ocean floor volcanos.

But you’re right … don’t even try to tell kids these days about how it was back then … they don’t believe in nothing! Heck … they don’t even know what music is anyway. At least WE know what music sounds like! These young, whipper-snappers today only know MPthis … and iThat … they ain’t never even heard REAL music … only ones and zeroes! Blah! Phoooooey!

:wink:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

yamaha hs80’s , i bought 3 pairs so iv’e always got a spare ! :smiley:
i love them to bits ,very surprised how clean they are .

john

see … stop loving them to bits and you’d be fine with just one pair, silly! :mrgreen:

i can’t help it they make the earth move for me ! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

i only use one pair , the idea was 5.1 but i haven’t got round to it so im just keeping them as spares as it would be nice that in 20 years time i can pull out a new pair and fix them to my zimmer frame for mobile monitoring :laughing: :laughing:

john

The legendary Genelec 1031A.

Ha! Luxury!

http://www.phespirit.info/montypython/four_yorkshiremen.htm :wink:

K&H O-300 D
Yamaha NS-10 M

(…I HATE Genelecs. :wink:

Still use a pair of NS-10s among others :slight_smile:

No problem - I´ll wipe the floor with genelecs. :mrgreen:

Prior to this, Tom was using a pair of Event ASP8s - which now reside in my studio. :mrgreen:

I still have my Event 20/20bas, but haven’t used them in a while. Fuller sound with a pinch more detail on the ASP8s.

Tom

Unless I misread Mr Paul, I don’t think he has a problem exactly with MIXING using NS10m’s – but objects to MASTERING with them – which I agree with 100% and would think any serious mastering person would, too

I use Event Studio 8’s and a pair of computer speakers (not at the same time!)

Oh, and phones, too

Yamaha SP3’s. 3" drivers. I have a small room, but I’d like to buy 5" or 8" drivers and just keep the volume down.

Nothing wrong with mixing on NS-10s. In fact their low-fidelity was one of the reasons they became the industry standard in succession to the Auratone.

but the reason every studio has NS-10s and had Auratones was for consistency. engineers and producers travel from studio to studio and need that consistency.

Anyone who uses NS-10s to master on clearly doesn’t know what they are doing and cannot really understand what the mastering process is all about.

btw - I actually own a pair of NS-10s