Which bitrate for MP3 streaming?

Hello,

I want to put my MP3-compressed music on my web site, for both downloading and streaming, and have to decide at which bitrate to compress it.
I would like to make it 320kbps, but will most people worldwide be able to stream it without interruptions or other problems?
I don’t want to put online two versions (one for downloading, one for streaming), and I don’t want another format (I have already decided for MP3).
What do you think?
Thanks.

Theoretically yes. I guess it’s possible that some people are still using a 14.4 modem … they might have a problem. It also depends on your server as well. I have everything at 320; no known issues here.

Cheers.

On my website I use 192 to 320 kbps.
I’ve never had any complaints. :slight_smile:

I would recommend 128. Yes isn’t that good but I prefer to put 128 for streaming and a option for 320kbps mp3 and 16bit/44.1Khz Flac download.

You have to think also about bandwidth and server CPU/memory usage.

One thing to consider might be people on mobile contracts. I personally try to avoid streaming 320kb/s audio on my phone when not on WiFi as my monthly data bundle doesn’t really allow it.

I always do a minimum of 160, though 192 is what I prefer. I don’t really feel an overwhelming need for 320.