Which Cubase are you using? The migration from x86 to x64.

What version of Cubase 6 are you using primarily? x64 or x86

• Cubase x64
  • Cubase x86

0 voters

I’m hoping that by allowing users to change their answer, over time we can track the remaining migration from Cubase x86 to x64.

Additional information:

\

1. Are you primarily using Cubase x86 (any version) or Cubase x64?

2. Why did you migrate?

3. Are you waiting? Why?

4. If you are using both but primarily use x64, what is the work flow like?

5. If you migrate and change your vote could you explain what prompted you to do so?

Thanks in advance to everyone who chooses to contribute their vote and answer any of the additional questions,

Mick

1. I don’t use many third party plugins, most of my instruments are hardware so there is hardly any downside to using 64. Even if I currently only have 4 GB Ram installed, I’m ready for the future :slight_smile:

I use Cubase x64 only. I migrated some 4 years ago to have more RAM for my VSL libraries. Never doubted the move for a second ever since. Even the 8 gig of RAM I have now is hardly enough for my projects, not to mention anything less than this.
I used to keep the 32 bit version to use Kore player with sound packs, but as Kore player never used hardware resources well, which made every project I used it on prone to crashes, plus the workflow was far from being convenient, I gave it up and now I don’t see the need to keep the 32 bit Cubase installed at all.

I use large orchestra libraries. It’s all about the RAM.

I’m in a transition period. I’ve got two PCs running, Win7x64+Cb6 and XP+Cb5.

I use the XP+Cb5 one for existing projects and people who need quick jobs - because I know it backwards. I’m starting to use the Win7x64+Cb6 machine for new projects now.

The main reason for my slow change-over is because of plugin problems on the Win7 machine. It is simply taking a long time and I don’t have the time - it’s not a simple plug and go operation. Also, I’m not terribly happy about the Cb6 changes, specifically the new lanes behaviour and some of the other gui changes. So I’ve not got a great desire to move from Cb5 on XP anyway.

But it’s not all doom and gloom because I’m really impressed with the tempo detection and elastique pitch in Cb6 as I do quite a bit of live mixing and preproduction. Also I use orchestral libraries quite a bit too so I’ll be free of the RAM limitations of XP will be great.

I guess as more new projects come along I’ll start to use the new machine more and more and I’ll probably get used to the Cb6 changes and change my working practices.

Mike.

Same here.

Been using 64 bit since Sonar 5, back in 2005. At the time, the 64 bit world was VERY harsh since almost no plugins were available in that format, so I used it along side the 32 bit version of Sonar for compatibility purposes. I moved to 100% 64 bit at around 2007 and have been happy with it ever since. Now, I’m using Cubase 6 (which I totally LOVE by the way) and still rocking the 64 bit version.

It’s a MUCH easier transition today considering the maturity of the 64 bit platform (both in the OS and the DAW) as well as the quantity of 3rd party 64 bit plugins currently available. The best advice I can give anyone making the transition from 32 bit into 64 bit, is to avoid using 32 bit plugins as much as possible. Your chances of having a stable system will increase based on this, I promise. If you need compatibility with older projects that use lots of 32 bit plugins, then install the 32 bit version of Cubase on the same machine. It won’t affect your system.

Take care!

Looks like the migration is almost complete.

yep looks like it is :wink:
i was a die hard never going to move from xp , i was even lucky enough to be one of the first and go through the pains and gains of home testing on xp back in January but after buying a sec generation I5 laptop i changed to base station to dual boot with xp with the sx3+c5 on one drive and win 7 64 bit and c6 -32+64 bit on the other and i must say i am very impressed with 64 and i never thought id say that :open_mouth:

regards
john

Don’t resist change. Sometime it’s good :wink:

it wasn’t about change it was about loosing hardware and if steinberg hadn’t released the 64bit midex driver id still be on xp .
change ? uuumm na more like ive been using the program for 20 years and wouldn’t like not being able too upgrade because of using an obsolete OS in the future so the update was necessary to carry on my addiction and love affair with cubase !

john

Windows XP for me, I am forced into this because I have so much hardware and software that will not work in a 64-bit environment. I use a slave Win 7 64-bit PC using VE Pro with all sample libraries on, and this combination works very well.

32 bit version here on Win7 64. I’d like to migrate but my heavily used UAD plugins are 32 still. They work in C6 64, but the bit bridge doesn’t support the mousewheel in plugin UIs, slowing down my workflow considerably.

No big libraries and stuff, so ram is ok that far. As soon as I can without remarkable downsides, I will go x64.

Waves, UAD, and AutoTune are the biggest ones still haven’t made it to 64 bit, and I think a lot of guys need to use those everyday. Most of the newer developers seem to have completed the migration, though.

I have migrated from mac G5 to i7 2600k W7 x64 this year (what a big difference that has made - loving it), and have been using Cubase 6 x64 only for the past 6 months. I do mostly VI based productions here, and I need to use a lot of RAM for orchestral stuff. I have all the plugins I need in x64 (Cytomic, PSP, Fabfilter, 2C Audio, etc.), and have not even used the 32 bit bridge.

Although I’m strictly using C6 x64 now, I do have some plugs that I am really hoping go x64 soon. UAD being top of that list. I’m a big fan of M-Tron Pro and that is still 32 bit (and doesn’t work in x64 Cubase). I have the Arturia synths that are slowly but surely converting to x64, but I would really like to use the Jupiter, but like the MTron it doesn’t work.

But, other than these little hold overs, I’m living life easier with a single host. Hopefully the work arounds for the late x64 conversions will be done soon.

1. Cubase x64

2. RAM

When I compose/arrange I strictly use x64 because I can use all my RAM (12GB).

When mix I bounce everything to audio and use x86 as some of my favourite audio plugins are still in 32bit. :imp:

Would you be willing to detail your workflow?

I made the change from x86 to x64 a short time ago, and it has been problematic with some companies not supporting 64bit vst’s yet. Things like outsim’s synthmaker and synthedit don’t do 64bit yet, but delphi recently do, so thats a bonus, things are looking up.

I hope that all companies catch up eventually and go 64bit native, as I would prefer that to relying on jbridge even though its very good.

I have 9 Gb of Ram but for now i stick with 32 bit C5.5 my os is W7 64 bit - I am about to upgrade to 6, I have the 30 day demo installed and so far I really like a couple of the changes. I would really like to go for 64 when I upgrade but…

In preproduction /composing I make extensive use of two 32 bit discontinued VSTis - darbuka and latigo by wizoo, as they are discontinued they are unlikely to become available in 64 and I know of no other vsti that does what they do.

My current laptop is an intel powered Macbook and these VSTi only work on power pc macs.

I have cubase LE 3 (my first Cubase purchase) and a liscence for that on a second dongle so I might dig up an old PC laptop and keep it around just a s a host for darbuka and latigo but I have no idea how to slave that to my main rig _ instructions are welcome

Sure,
When I compose I want all my RAM-hungry plugins to be able t access all my RAM. So I use Cubase 64bit and use all the 64bit VSTi’s I have (Kontakt, PLAY, Halion, Spectrasonics , Vienna Instruments Pro- all of them are 64bit).
I can have projects utilizing all 12gigs of my RAM.

Now, when I want to mix, do a batch export of all the channels and import them to the project. Then I remove all the VST instruments and save the project file with a different name such as XProject Audio.cpr
Then I use Cubase x32, open the project and I mix it using all my 32bit audio plugins that are not 64bit yet. Best of both worlds basically.

So Cubase x86 will open an x64 project as long as there are only audio files involved and no x64 plugins? That’s pretty straight forward. Do you ever have to export back to the x64 version after working in x86?