Which MIDI CC's are Assigned to Plugins by Default?

Is there a way to see which MIDI CC values are assigned to plugin parameters by default? For example, if I connect a MIDI controller to my PC without making any initial setting changes in Cubase, I can see that some of my controller’s controls are already adjusting some of the parameters in the plugin. It would be nice to see a list for each plugin that says which MIDI CC’s are pre-assigned to it. Is this list available somewhere?

It mainly depends upon the actual plugin (or rather, the plugin developer, if third-party).
Apart from the standard CC#1= modulation, CC#7=volume, CC#10=pan, CC#11=expression (which, even so, not all plugins respond to :wink: ), the majority of plugins don’t hard-wire their parameters to MIDI CC#s. Those that do so, usually have the relevant info in their documentation. (So what I am actually saying, I suppose, is that it isn’t really Cubase’s occupation :wink: ). And for all the other plugins that are not hard-wired, that is why we have the Generic Remote Device, and Quick Controls (so that you can set up your own CC# assignations).

This might help…

J.L.

Thanks vic and jaslan. So what if a plugin does appear to have default MIDI cc’s assigned*, but offers no documentation as to which ones? Is there a way in Cubase to find this out? Something like a reverse MIDI Monitor perhaps?

The reason I ask is because if a plugin has MIDI cc’s already hard coded to them, but you cannot see which ones, it kind of defeats the purpose of having an assignable MIDI controller wouldn’t you think?

*I say “appears” because you mentioned that most plugins don’t hard-wire their parameters to MIDI cc’s. Is there any situation in which Cubase could be doing this itself in the background? Without knowing whether or not a plugin has hard-coded cc assignments or not, how would I know if it isn’t Cubase somehow mapping cc’s to the plugin besides what I am doing myself in the Generic Remote setup?

I was thinking cubase sends whatever midi it receives to where ever you send it, so a plugin or external instrument etc.

Unless you set up a filter to keep something out.

Then it’s just a matter of what midi the developer implements.

Try a plug when you get it and see what it responds to if there’s no documentation.

I was thinking you could assign your own controls to whatever you want, to automate a knob in a plugin…

No?

I used to use an older version of cubase but I’m stating from scratch with 7.5

The documentation will normally have their address. Go over there with a shotgun! :stuck_out_tongue:
Seriously, though, do you actually have a plugin with hard-wired CC#s, and no documentation about it? Maybe there is a Help page in the Plugin’s GUI itself? If not, at very least, write to their support, for that essential info.
I presume you are writing about a particular case. What is the plugin in question?
Otherwise, I’m afraid the only way you can find out for yourself within Cubase, is to send to the plugin each of the 128 CC#s in turn, and watch the GUI!

Hey vic, actually I am talking about a specific plugin - Cubase’s own Monologue! I Googled and came up empty. Can’t see anything obvious on the interface itself which would provide this info. The plugin reference manual doesn’t go into these details. I did find this forum post over at KVR which seems to corroborate this, unfortunately the external link which appears to have included the cc info for Monologue is no longer active.

Seems odd that Steinberg would make such a useful feature as Quick Controls, yet hard-code MIDI cc’s into this VSTi without telling you what the conflicts may be. Did Monologue come out before QC? In any case, anytime I assign a quick control to this synth, I end up moving some other parameter besides the one I want.

Well, I guess I better get to work figuring them out one at a time, then! :slight_smile:

Well, that’ll teach me, won’t it! :stuck_out_tongue:. (Here on Mac, I had to reboot from an old Mac OSX 10.6.8 disk, in order to get Monologue available in Cubase 5.5, and… no mention of the CC#s in the documentation, and no specific Help page from the Monologue GUI either.

I Googled and came up empty.

I Googled also, and came up with this (happy reading :wink: )…

Wha?! Good job vic! My Google must be, er, broke. :blush: Thanks for the link!