Which PCIE slot do you put your Audio card onto for ultimate power?

I have been told that PCI Bus x16 runs on the CPU. This has made me think that when a project’s CPU shows up as 80% whilst being 5% in the computers processes, that this issue could be remedied by switching audio cards over to the 16x bus and the graphics over to the 8x.

All I know is that there is an ASIO bottle neck, which could maybe be remedied with this potential solution. Am investigating…

This will slow down the UI…

Hi @st10ss
Can you please expand on what you know about this? Thank you so much

Keep you GPU in the 16x slot. Even a 1x slot can transfer way more data than you will ever need for audio.
Just think about that most people are running their audio interface on USB connection.

1 Like

That would take too long and would start another topic with senseless discussions on computer technology.

@KHS mentioned a very good point already.

What KHS said.

You can actually do the math on how much audio you are actually sending through a PCIe connection and compare with the bandwidth. [Sample rate] * [bit depth] * [channels] = requirement. So for 24 tracks of 48k/24bit;

48000x24x24=27648000 bits, or roughly 3.5MB/second.

PCIe 3.0 has a bandwidth of roughly 1TB/second per lane.

Not even your average video card used for the GUI requires much bandwidth.

1 Like

So, is there any alternative method of fixing the issue where within Cubase that a project shows up as 90% cpu usage, whereas the computer CPU used is at 10%?
Is there an alternative method to allocate more CPU over to Cubase other than audio buffer number crunching?

This has been talked about ad nauseam.
This is NOT a CPU meter:
vst_performance_window_cubase_pro_nuendo

It shows audio performance which is the sum of (or weakest link in) every part of your computer that is involved in handling real time audio.

If you are having audio performance issues, please run LatencyMon to aid you in finding the culprit of the performance issues.

You can try to mess with driver choices and interfaces etc. since some are more efficient than others, and you can try to shut down things that may interfere that you don’t need, possibly things like wifi and bluetooth (in BIOS). Like linde wrote a latency monitoring app can help.

Other than getting a ‘better’ CPU or making sure it’s performing as good as it can that’s the only thing I can think of.