Which Speaker Monitoring would you recommend?

Hi!
Which one of these speaker monitorings would you recommend for a 3*4 meters Studio control room?

1. Presonus Eris E8
  2. Yamaha HS80m
  3. Alesis M1 Active MKII
  4. KRK Rokit 5 G2
    I count on the presonus model but I like to know your idea plz. TNX

I doubt you’ll find someone who can compare them all, so it’s probably best if you could visit a store that has them available so you can try them out.
I have the Alesis M1’s and I think they’re pretty good for the price. HS80’s I imagine would be better but more expensive and quite a bit bigger too.

Aloha C,

Just one guys opinion here but works for me.

Years ago I put this ‘monitor’ issue to rest once and for all.

Genelecs.

{’-’}

+1 for auditioning them in person, if possible.

I don’t have the others to compare, but I have really enjoyed my KRK Rokit 5s.

For whatever that is worth …

Widen your pallet (Tannoy, Genelec, or if you’re on a more conservative budget include Behringer if you’re considering KRKs), and find a dealer who will let you try them out - in-situ if possible.
Recommendations are a dime a dozen; everyone has their personal bias; you need to know what works best for you in your studio - period.
Whatever you get, you will nevertheless have a possibly long time ahead of you in which you need to get to know them, particularly how they translate! The latter tip is by far the most important - even more important than which monitors you get!

+2. You can only decide yourself if the monitors suit your needs or not. But remember: the “best sounding” monitors are not the “best monitors”. It’s all about if they sound “honest” … and if they work well in your room.

+1. Never tried any of the products on the list, but if I had to make a “blind” decision, I would pick KRKs too.

+1000. It was back in '85 or '86 when I first time sat front of a pair of Gennys … and never looked back.

No speaker will be perfectly accurate, being fundamentally limited by technology, dimensions and the room they are in.

The best we can hope is that the speakers we use will:

a) Produce at least the frequency range, levels and quality we want to produce

b) Have enough clarity for us to determine if whatever changes we make to a mix are beneficial (or the opposite!), and

c) Enable us to estimate whether the end results will work on target systems.

The last of these is dependent upon having ‘calibrated’ one’s own ears by mixing on the speakers and trying out the results on a variety of systems. A few iterations of this will do the job.

They don’t have to be ‘perfect’ and the genres we are producing may enable some optimisations regarding tradeoffs.

I agree 100% with this . I’d also add that unless you’ve treated your room somewhat your not going to get the benefit of even a very expensive monitor.

On a personal level, I’ve never liked Genelec monitors, I think they sound great but I didn’t get good mixes that translated well on them.

I use Quested 3208 actives and my trusty old NS10’s with a decent amp.

MC

Chapters 1 and 2 of Michael Paul Stavrou’s Mixing with your mind are devoted to getting the best out of the speakers you have, in the room you have.

Well worth the read, along with a whole lot of other beneficial recording and mixing techniques. Three of these (off-centre vocal mic, figure-8 mic isolation, level-dependent vocal reverb) are significant factors in our recordings.

+1 :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Fair enough but I still say unless you treat your room you’re never going to get as good results from ANY monitor so why not treat your room.

MC

Of course, but those chapters are about getting the best regardless of the level of treatment of the room.

However, using them first may help to find where the best places in the room are for setting up one’s speakers, so it could bypass a lot of onerous room treatment that might not turn out as well as well as one might expect. That is, setup in a good position first, rather than pick a bad one based on the wrong criteria and bang your head against the wall and empty your wallet trying to make it good.

They also help to train you to know and verify a good position rather than rote using of rules of thumb.