which USB 3 c card?

Hi, looking at buying steinbergs new UR44c interface but my computer doesn’t have a USB 3 c port, presumably I can fit one to my computer but which one? how do know the correct one or if it fits with my computer?

thanks for any help :slight_smile:
Kevin

Are you asking about adding a PCIe card? Just match the ‘size’ of the card to the slots you have available on your motherboard. I’m guessing a single-slot PCI express 3.0 card would do.

Then make sure the card you buy has the USB connection version you need. I’m guessing that would be USB 3.1 Gen 1 with a type-C connector.

That’s what it looks like.

Thanks, I’m not a tekky so just wanted some confirmation from a more knowledgeable person than me, appreciate your help…thanks. :slight_smile:

ahmmm… don’t buy that card… try to use adapter(cable) in the first place (lesser then $20)

USB-C is only the name of the plug, it can work in different modes and as far as I remember the UR44C is not an USB-3 interface it only uses USB-C connection
the USB3 PCIe cards make more problems than they solve

and btw your signature says USB C 3.1 so you already have the right connection

Oh…I’ve just this morning put a usb 3c card in my computer and I’ve just this minute taken delivery of a UR44c which has arrived with a cable with a usbc on one end and a normal usb on the other…I was expecting a cable with the new c thingy on both ends :astonished: so will it work as it’s supposed to with this cable?..gotta assume so or they wouldn’t include it with the item…
so your saying that my 3.1 usb connections will work ok with it?

“Super speed USB 3. 1 Gen 1 with USB-C for fast and reliable Connectivity to Mac, PC, and iOS devices” is what I see on one website, “1 x USB-C 3.1 Gen 1 (audio/MIDI)” on another, and the manual says:

“USB 3.0 & USB Type-C
The UR44C is equipped with a USB Type-C port and
features USB 3.0 (USB 3.1 Gen 1) SuperSpeed
mode while providing full compatibility with the
USB 2.0 High-Speed mode. The USB Type-C
connection provides enough bus power to operate
the UR44C.”

You’re right though that it might work just fine with a different version.

I’ve never actually had the need for USB 3.x PCIe cards so that’s new to me. But you’re right that it appears the motherboard has both 3.0 and 3.1. I just went by what the post said… should have checked maybe.

Got it connected up now and working ok, just cannot find the dsp effects… :confused:

Ended up returning the UR44c…just didn’t meet with my expectations sadly.

What didn’t you like?

Headphone output quite low and struggled to drive my 250 ohm DT770 pro phones, controls on the front quite small and fiddly, I bought a USBc card for my puter in anticipation but the unit arrived with a USBc to USB lead which confused me a little ( easily done in the computer environment for me )
but apparently the 3.1 USB connections are up to it but I’m still not sure :confused: why would it come with a USBc connection if the USB 3.1 connection would suffice,
then I couldn’t find the basic effects suite after 2 hours of trying to get it ( I kept getting a message that the authorization number was already in use ) someone on another post suggested that the unit had been sold previously and authorized then returned and sold again to me which would explain the authorization problem I s’pose. so gave up and sent it back, looking at my Yamaha N8 now in a whole new light, the UR44c was actually not a discernible improvement…not for me anyways… :astonished:

not trying to put the stuff down…just didn’t work well for me, if you buy one of these you need to buy a headphone amp . :slight_smile: you turn the volume of the unit right up and you get hiss.

What company did you buy from? If you don’t mind me asking…

I don’t mind you asking but why would you ask? what difference would it make? I bought it through Amazon.

Well if the authorization had been used by someone else already that’s on the seller, and it’d be good to know who that seller is. They shouldn’t be doing that.

You got that right my friend… :slight_smile:

if you buy one of these you need to buy a headphone amp . > :slight_smile: > you turn the volume of the unit right up and you get hiss.

no… my UR22 drives my DT-770 very well
and I doubt that the headphone amp changed that much

Yes, the UR44c that I had did not drive my phones to what I consider to be a satisfactory level and my headphone amp made a significant difference… :slight_smile:

maybe the UR22 and the UR44c are different beasts :slight_smile:

I’m still curious though I have to say. Amazon allows for some sales through it and some sales through other sellers where Amazon is simply a facilitator of the transaction. Was this sale one where you bought a Steinberg product by Amazon, or was this a third party seller on Amazon?

I’m wondering because if this unit as you imply may have been used already - which would explain the license issue - then it’s also possible that the unit at one point was returned because it was defective, which in turn could explain a low output for headphones…

interesting point…

Yeah this was from a third party seller and I reckon your probably right that it had been returned by a previous customer who authorized it, If it was returned as a defective unit though surely the seller wouldn’t sell it again :astonished: they’d just keep getting it sent back all the time.
I’ve seen a complaint about the headphone output of the UR44c on a Gearslutz thread so it’s possible that it is a bit on the low side… :slight_smile: