While testing VST Live

I love the “Steinberg Stage” name proposition. It would be much better than Steinberg VST Live. Since the program has just been released and is not very known yet that timing to rename it is perfect.

As @musicullum said - it’s too late and too close to competitors.

Here are my bugs/wishes/thoughts.

• TBH, this looks pretty beta, even alpha…but it has massive potential and it could be a game changer for live keyboard players! So please keep it up!!

• The manual is very basic, to say it friendly ;)|

• When importing multiple WAV files, VST Live produces tracks for each file (good), but all files are on all tracks overlayed then (bad)|

• Is there an Audio Track Mixer page? Would be nice to have that|

• Hitting TAB after renaming a track should jump to the next track to rename it (just like in Cubase)|

• Can’t find the part trigger window|

• Just to press into the trigger field of a part to set it’s beginning point is a big trap, you very likely accidentally press it and change the beginning point|

• How to assign actions to parts?|

• I setup a loop and the playback is looped as desired, how can I tell VST Live then (after a while of looping) that it should play on?|

• There should be a Song Part trigger mode, where the part is triggered on the next upbeat. This is needed to get people off of Ableton Live as a backing track player. Without that, people will stick to Ableton, that’s the USP of Ableton in that context.|

• Right click should never activate/select anything, but open a context menu. Come on guys, this is basic stuff…|

• Any MIDI CC should be available for actions to be triggered. Also Notes (c1, c#1, d1,…). |

• Individual Metronome Samples, Pitches, Beat Levels|

3 Likes

We have a wishlist thread somewhere…
Some replies:

Yes, go to mixer and expand (“e”) the Song Bus Channel (the one with the Song name).

Menu Song/Song Part Triggers

…but a really fast way to do so :slight_smile: You may just locate and click again if it happens by accident.

I don’t understand that questions. Actions can switch parts (Next Part, Previous Part etc) if that’s what you mean.

Cycle off, also available as Action

In the making :slight_smile:

Where does it?

Devices/Actions/Learn?

Later maybe. You can select beep or stick, create a MIDI track…

1 Like

In the Tracks page with right click you can select track, you also can activate/deactivate buttons Mute, Solo, Listen, Record, also color icon. Also Inspector categories are switchable with right click. Also Part Trigger can be set with right click.

In Stacks page - everywhere clicking right mouse button shows a context menu, but on Solo and Mute buttons not, it activates/deactivates them. Should not.

The same on Layers page - Audio/MIDI switch can be changed with right click. Also Velocity Curve window show up after right click. Transpose and Octave buttons too.

Interesting is that with right click in Mixer page we can select more than one track. Is it a mistake or planned behavior? We already can select multiple tracks with Shift + left click.

I agree with @Duplobaustein that on right click there should not be any selection or activation, but everywhere where it is possible could be context menu. I’m sure very soon VST Live will be more complex and better would be to have features used often more closer to user - in the context menu. If not, just ignore right click or open a context menu of upper lever (main feature list etc.)

1 Like

We’re on it, thanks.

Yes, totally agree!

Thanks for your detailed answer! :pray:

Yes, go to mixer and expand (“e”) the Song Bus Channel (the one with the Song name).
Doesn’t work here. Here a screenshot where I tried. “E” doesn’t do anything. :slight_smile:

Menu Song/Song Part Triggers

Found it! The first part is not in the list, that’s a bit confusing.

…but a really fast way to do so :slight_smile: You may just locate and click again if it happens by accident.

Assigning like this is very uncommon and “just locate again” is actually not acceptable in a professional live situation. You can’t have the Part points accidentally reset that easily imho.

I don’t understand that questions. Actions can switch parts (Next Part, Previous Part etc) if that’s what you mean.

Yes, got it.

Cycle off, also available as Action

Thx

In the making :slight_smile:

This is essential. If you then make the parts switchable between “play on” and “stop” (only the playback not the metronome) at the next part, then you have a perfect flexible playback system. You can then have a fixed verse/ref/verse/rev part, then a free solo part, with either a loop or just the metronome, and then go back on any given ubpeat into the stems. If you can deliver this, I’ll throw Ableton out of the window. :sweat_smile:

Where does it?

As discussed. :slight_smile:

Devices/Actions/Learn?

That’s absolutely workable. Manual assign of a CC would be nice, or didn’t I get it?

Later maybe. You can select beep or stick, create a MIDI track…

Yes, not the end of the world. Ableton doesn’t have it since today. :smiley:

sure, in the list: double-click and change, no?

1 Like

Got it!