whishes as copyst

Hello,
Wishes as copyst:

1.As I recopied a lot a music, it’s easier and requires less focus while having the same layout (number of bars per staff) as original.In my precedent software I can 4,3,4,5,3 … and in one click all my page was formatting with this number of bars/staff.Something like:
shift +:+19(4,3,4,5,3)

2.I analyze a lot pf music of different styles of music and I noticed that it’s rare to find two rests side by side. So it can be great if we could have the option to choose in preference that the (,) for rest in only valid for one entry and toggle to normal notes

Best regards
Dup

I guess that depends what style of music you are copying, but normally you don’t need to enter rests at all in Dorico. Just press space to move the note entry caret to the next note position and Dorico will automatically create the correct rests from the time signature and the engraving rules.

(Note, the attachment wasn’t done in Dorico, but it makes the point!)

Hi Dup.
I react to your second point. I use Dorico since Oct 19, 2016 (also known as Day 1) and this is something that has not changed since then : you’re not supposed to enter rests in Dorico! But, indeed, you need in some rare occasions to use this key. I must say I like the idea of a non sticking key and second it. I had too many times the surprise to find that the whole line I had entered was… empty.

You first point is valid too, of course, and I hope the team will consider it!

I would also enjoy #1 and I know it has been suggested in the past. I often lose my place when transcribing another edition precisely because the breaks change.

I suppose the problem with sticky keys is consistency. If some options “stick” and others don’t, for no obvious reason, that is just more things you have to remember.

For example, should grace notes or tuplets “stick” but not rests? And what about articulations?

Personally I don’t have strong feelings about the rests, since I hardly ever use the , key.