Who use ADC in Cubase 6?

And when? At mixing stage or recording stage? What use? I never seems to understand this function fully.

You can read on page 189 and 216 of the manual that delay compensation is automatically on. You can use the “Constrain Delay Compensation” function when you want to monitor something with less delay. It is well explained in the manual.

I would say, everybody uses it, until they switch it off. It´s activated by default.

They are situations, when you might switch it off, for example, when you are recording along to tracks, which already have plugins put in.
ADC aligns the latencies of the plugins in every track, so these tracks are in sync between each other.

All the best,.

Roger

looks like, indeed…(Given you´re talking about “Automatic delay compensation” and not “Analog to digital conversion / converter”)

Yes I mean constrain delay compensation. Ok it should always be on. Some seems to use it for minimal latency while monitoring (recording?) and some push it off while monitoring, recording if they have plugins on other tracks…Hmmm seems not 100 % clear.
Am I misunderstanding? I figured out i should use it when mixing. Some cubase plugin do not function though, I have to change the latenxy number in preferences. What is the “best” numbers? Without losing the purpose of ADC?
While monitoring, recording > push it off?

Thanks for advice!

No, usually it should always be of, so that plugIn delay compensation is on.

Obviously you are. Whenever you turn on “constrain delay compensation” you lose the “purpose of ADC” under certain circumstances which are explained in the manual. “Losing ADC” means reducing perceived latency caused by plugins, by disregarding its inherent latency or disabling it completely (again refer to TFM)

You should most definitely not use constrain delay compensation whilst mixing.

The way it works is to switch off any plugins that cause a delay in processing, the time it takes to get a signal from plugin input to output, acording to a “delay threshold” that can be user defined in the prefs.

When you insert an effect that has a processing delay into the cubase mixer, cubase will “compensate” for the processing time by delaying all the other tracks by the amount of that effects processing time, thus adding to the overall latency of the system.

You can see the plugins reported latency/delay by looking in the plugin list in devices/plugin information.

If you switch Constrain PDC on any FX that exceeds the threshold will be switched off and obviously the delay added to the mixer will be removed, handy when recording but definitely not desired at mix down.

Sorry, smartassmode again: Not any FX exceeding the threshold will automatically be switched off, unless that was changed in C6 then apologies in advance…

Ok, I should have said for more detailed information on what and when Constrain is applied look at manual page 216 (C6)

But as some people cannot read manuals, maybe an allergic reaction to PDF’s :laughing: then a simple (but wrong in detail) explanation was offered.

Thanks for pointing out my error…

ADC just compensates for any latency when you either put a plugin on a track (plugin’s that take time to process) or if you are using analog outboard to process audio (you have a latency that is the total round trip time out of converters, through outboard then back into converters).
We are talking tiny amounts, say 6 milliseconds for most outboard (depending on your sample rate - latency decreases the higher your sample rate) and for a lot of mono tracks this isn’t something most people would hear, BUT the problem becomes evident if you mix the processed sound and the original sound together. You get what’s called comb filtering at some frequencies, which gives the track a phasey washed out sound. The method of mixing the processed and dry sound is used quite a lot in mixing with compressors and is called parallel compression, or sometimes called New York Compression. There’s also an old method of this called the Motown ‘Exciting’ compressor, which also involves putting an eq in the chain. The other time this can be a problem is if you are using a chain of say 4 outboard units, ie - 2 comrpessors, an eq and an analog de-esser, you will be adding about 26 milliseconds of delay to the track, which you might well notice.
Even staying all digital qith plugins, another example is a live drum kit. You have a snare tack, but the snare is also in the overhead tracks. You put a compressor on the snare, suddenly the snare track is delayed by whatever the plugin latency is. The snare won’t disappear, but the phase of the snare track being shifted will mess with the snare sound you are hearing in the overhead tracks adn the 2 combined will alter the snare sound, usually for the worse.
So generally even if you don’t use outboard you should use ADC as you can see from the drum kit example. Hope that makes it a little clearer.
Cheers.

Thanks for your entire post 9I snipped for space…)
Question…would this mean, if I’m in the mix mode, and am utilizing UA plug-ins…NOTORIOUS for their latency, that with the ADC ON, it might selectively shut some of them down?
Note, I use no outside gear whilst mixing. recording, I do use a GML 2020 into my MR816CSX, but i record using the direct monitoring function, so i can keep the latency set at 2048…if I go 1024, Ivory will cause some VST overload issues.
I’m Intel Mac Pro nehelem 10 gig 2.66 Quad Core.

Thanks to all who contributed on this here fine thread.

Yes, if you switch Constrain PDC on it could very well switch off some UAD plugins and other plugins that exceed the CPDC threshold (set in preferences)

My question would be, why would you want to switch Constrain PDC on during mixing?

Split, I don’t. It’s been set to off throughout the process. I just installed 6.5, noticed it was defaulted to off, and wanted to make sure I was working as I should be.
As I record using direct monitor enabled with no out of the box processing, the record process is a non issue.

it’s just hat my Mastering template had the ADC ON!
You do mean ADC, not PDC?

Well automatic or plugin delay compensation or even automatic plugin delay compensation.

doesn’t really matter as long as we know what were talking about :laughing:

Or even CDC!!!

No. As mentioned before, automatic delay compensation is “on” automatically (therefore “automatic”) and always.
By activating the “Constrain delay compensation” function, ADC is no longer fully automatic, and this is, when some plugins might be switched off under certain circumstances.