Why are there no other generic audio drivers other than ASIO in Nuendo?

Ah so.

Thanks for clarifying st10ss.

1 Like

There you got it !

1 Like

Wrong… that’s not what I want.
I do understand that only one driver mode can be used at one time.
I cannot use ASIO & WDM at the same time. I cannot use ASIO & WASAPI shared at the same time. I understand this clearly.

But the question is… where do WDM or WASAPI shared or Windows Audio appear in Nuendo/Cubase ? I can’t even see them.
I don’t want to use them at the same time as ASIO. I simply want to switch from ASIO to an other available driver mode like WASAPI shared or Windows audio or other. But they are not there in Nuendo. That is all that I have been saying all the while. Alternative drivers are not available in Nuendo if & when needed.

The misunderstanding seems to be that you’re not just saying one thing, you’re saying several different things in different posts. In some posts it’s about sharing hardware between software, in another it’s about not having other drivers in Nuendo, or it’s about ASIO being restrictive, or it’s about not wanting to use “workarounds”.

So for us reading your posts if we see something that is clearly incorrect we’ll point that out. And that happened.

If your problem is that ASIO is too limited because you can’t allow Nuendo to use the same hardware as another software, both using ASIO, at the same time - which is what you said - then you’re just wrong. I showed that you’re wrong. And because I can do it the limitation clearly isn’t ASIO or Nuendo, it’s the people implementing the drivers - i.e. hardware and software manufacturers.

If your problem is that ASIO is the only driver protocol available for Nuendo and you want to see more options then I guess that’s a fair request assuming Nuendo can’t run on other drivers. Fine. I don’t support your request because I think Steinberg can spend their time better than developing/allowing for that.

There you go !
You’ve got it spot on !
This is all I have been trying to say all the while from my first post, but you have put it differently which clarifies the point better I guess than me.

A software like a DAW or soft synth cannot expect everyone to own/purchase only a certain kind of hardware device that supports it’s functioning. In this context, it cannot be expected that every DAW user would have a multi-client supported audio interface.

Agreed on your point that switching from ASIO to another like Windows Audio or WASAPI may mean sacrificing very low latency levels, high functionality, etc. I did acknowledge this in one of my posts.
But that would be one’s own choice depending on use case & circumstances and the user would be expected to know that, best that the DAW manual itself specifies the trade off.
It’s just that Nuendo/Cubase doesn’t even have the option of an alternative driver mode which is surprising and limiting.

Now, here’s what… the issue faced was when I had to make do with my Zoom H6 as an audio interface at a different location which I guess doesn’t support multi-client mode.
So when I was scouting for a different driver mode like WASAPI shared, couldn’t find it and that started this thread, more in annoyance at the beginning, but I’ve got a better understanding now with everyone’s inputs that the limitation does indeed exist due to non-availability of alternative drivers for those devices that are not multi-client.

Now I am at my main workstation where I use the Roland Octacapture which does seem to be multi-client as I am able to get it to do what I am looking for because of flexible routing options available in the Octacapture.

Notwithstanding this though, I would stick to my feature request to have various other non-exclusive driver modes (WASAPI shared, Windows audio, MME/DirectX, etc.) available in Nuendo/Cubase in addition to the main ASIO so that audio sharing and running in parallel is not hardware device dependent and an option to switch driver mode is available.

Steinberg, please provide an update for the same :slightly_smiling_face:

All are inter-related in some ways if you observe closely.

Agreed. Makes sense. That’s because you have an ASIO hardware device which supports multi-client. I have one too, and it works on that.
But another in which it doesn’t.
That is why alternative drivers need to be made available.

YES !! Exactly ! Spot on :slightly_smiling_face:

Respect your view but it’s not some new rocket science feature which needs countless human-hours to code or invent.
Many DAWs have them and is something that can simply be incorporated.
The only reason I can see is unwillingness to “allow” (that’s the word, not “develop” as there is not anything really to develop, they are existing driver modes).
Unless someone knows and can explain why it is so so difficult to simply introduce into an update.
I know of other DAWs that didn’t have all driver modes that they have today to start with.
They introduced them in updates.

Ok, well if it’s that simple I guess…

As I said, they are existing options provided by other DAWs and software instruments like NI. I don’t see why anything new would be required to “develop”.

But then, let me admit I am not a software coder.
Is this something really so difficult for Steinberg to provide via an update ?
All I want is to know the possibilities and a possible outcome.

There you got it !

While that is not currently possible with ASIO, it is with Dante protocol, and their Dante Via software. But for that, you need Dante capable hardware.

Yes it’s difficult.
The Windows audio subsystem is a mess with too many options and possibilities and still lacks some functionality needed for pro audio applications.
And it can mess up your streams (audio signals) without any notice to the DAW.
It still has nothing like Direct Monitoring.

1 Like

Hate to say this, and please no one start in on the whole Mac vs Windows debate, but… on Macs, this has not been an issue. I have used both platforms for audio at different decades (26 years professionally), and Macs just seem to not have this constant driver b.s. happening. Sure, the initially cost more, but for one example, I can still use and still do, my older 2008 Mac tower with my new 2019 laptop, connected via Dante. They can each run different sofware (Nuendo 11 on the laptop, which can also have the Firefox browser using the same Dante audio stream to playback YooToob stuff if need be) along with the Mac tower, running anything else, usually Logic Pro 9 used as an effects platform (I love their space and delay designer plug ins.), and some stand alone synths. AT THE SAME TIME. One unified driver (Dante Virtual Driver), and one hardware interface (Focusrite Rednet 2, 16 IO) that can be running 3-4 different softwares at once. Me coming from an analog tape beginning, is almost MAGIC. Saves me tons of hourse not having to synch, render tracks, and other workarounds. It all comes into Nuendo via Dante.

Dante does have some hardware that is windows’ compatible. If I were you, I would look to that solution, instead of praying / hoping for ASIO to do what you need.

Jesus Christ!.. .didn’t I write several times now that it IS possible to use the SAME audio hardware, with ASIO, with more than one software, at the same time?

Did you read my posts?

I did.

But I did not understand anything on how to do it.

Maybe a step by step?

I did read all the replies you posted too. Way too much to try to figure out how you do it.

And clearly, the OP has not been able to do it.

BlockquoteJesus Christ!.. .didn’t I write several times now that it IS possible to use the SAME audio hardware, with ASIO, with more than one software, at the same time?

Did you read my posts?

I went back to re read how you say that you use ASIO in the manner wanted by the OP.

You keep offering WORKAROUNDS. I did read them. In each case some third party “bridge” or workaround is required to get what the OP wants. He only wants ASIO and nothing else to do what he needs. Like DANTE protocol, but ASIO on windows.

Cheers.

No, I don’t.

If someone writes as a statement like the one you responded to then it stands by itself. It read exactly as follows:

to be able to use the SAME audio hardware, with ASIO, with more than one software, at the same time

You said that wasn’t possible. It IS possible.

Is Voicemeeter software or is it hardware? It is software.
Can I have it use ASIO to access my 16A at the same time as Nuendo? Yes. I can.

Therefore it IS possible to do what you say isn’t possible. A user that reads ONLY your post with his quote will think that what I did wasn’t possible. So to that user it would seem they wouldn’t even be able to have a workaround.

See my point? Taking isolated statements like that and making claims that aren’t correct can lead people in the wrong direction.

Now, if he wants some specific use-case scenario that is currently not possible that’s one thing, it’s an entirely different matter if the reason for that is that ASIO is limited or not.

Sorry, this indicates that you have no clue what you are talking about…

The ease of use of Dante has nothing to do with Mac or PC… it is important that all Dante hardware is compatible to all Dante hardware.
There are no restrictions to the devices on the network. And sometimes there is no Mac or PC involved on a network. Yes there are special devices that require a computer but these are all, PC and Mac. All of them.

DVS is available for PC and Mac. Dante controller is available for PC and Mac.
But in the last 3 years or so the effort to keep up with the changes of the Mac platform has paralyzed the development of the whole system.

Yes you did, I feel you…

So, Voicemeter is part of ASIO? NO IT IS NOT.

Or is it a third party software? YES IT IS.

The OP wants ASIO to do all this BY ITSELF.

But I am done trying to argue with you geniuses on here.

You all continue without my ignorant ass questions and ignorance.

Cheers

Well I recall people complaining about not having Dante for Windows.

Sorry that I do not spend hours upon hours updating my brain on what is happening in the land of drivers.

So, I’ll just get my clueless ass outta here.

This is what I get for trying to understand and help.

Maybe it’s too difficult to understand what we trying to say… the driver or a corresponding tool (driver GUI) to handle settings of the hardware and the drivers is doing everything and that’s the way ASIO is designed and why it’s widely used.

BTW, even Realtek provides an ASIO driver in the meantime.

The only vendor of audio interfaces, I’m aware of, that doesn’t provide an ASIO driver for all interfaces is Behringer.