Why are these staves overlapping?

A mystery. No frame breaks anywhere. Here are some screenshots:

I can add a frame break to force it to spill to the second page (and I will ), but I’d still like to know why this is happening.

It’s not a global thing, because other layouts with tab in the same project look fine. Oh, and Ideal Gap for tab staff is set to 4, the default.

Any ideas? I can’t post the file here, but I can share it via PM.

Is casting off fixed to x systems per frame, in Layout Options?

Why would this overlapping happens?
Hecha aus aules.dorico (1.7 MB)

You don’t have enough space on the page for the amount of music you have:

You’re at 110% vertical fill.

You need to reduce your default spacing in the layout options, decrease your rastral size, or both.

Simply deleting the superfluous MP marking for the left hand of the piano and then moving the other dynamics to the “before” position was enough to get things to snap into a more appropriate spacing.

If you decrease your rastral size to Size 4 you’ll see an even more drastic change which will likely serve you well.

Concerning vertical fill over 100%, I’m wondering what’s the degree of tolerance for Dorico for overlapping systems. When I’m doing the editing in Engrave mode, very often there are a lot of pages with a value over 100%, at three system per pages (for a string quartet). I’m forced then to add manual frame breaks a bit everywhere to have only two system per pages.

See this recent thread for Daniel’s explanation of why this problem happens.

If you consistently want two systems per page, set a fixed casting off.

1 Like

OK I see thanks Mark and Lillie!
Unfortunately, I do not want two system per page everywhere neither. So I’ll go manually

Thank you, that works for me …