Why can't Cubase write proper tempo info into the Pool for newly recorded files???

Is there a way to make Cubase write the proper time to each and every audio file being recorded into the pool?

I’m at loss for words and kind of at my wit’s end given the context of just a computer program.
But either I have been doing it all wrong for a decade and a half or more if this was the case in VST32 as well or it’s time for a long overdue feature request?
Given all the spectacular things Stein berg have somehow managed to produce it’s just beyond me that tempo info isn’t saved properly alredady?!!?

When we record audio there is a Project Tempo set and Cubase knows what it is.
You either type it in or use the default 120BPM and for now we don’t want to get derailed by Tempo Tracks and Beat Calculators.
Why isn’t this BPM written into the file info displayed in the Pool window?

I don’t want to have to go to the Pool and figure out which file is and which file isn’t recorded at one tempo or the other.
In larger projects it could turn into a nightmare unless you have an eye on it all the time.

Today gathering and editing guitar riffs I thought I have to try get to the bottom of this.
In a peculiar little project with five cycle markers I had opened a workspace with the project and pool windows visible.
Again I observed the tempo column and there was a handful of files recorded.
ONE of them had some tempo set to 191.37 or whatever is calculated from the total length from the audio file in relation to the project.
Why was even that one set???

I proceeded with using two of the tracks already in the project and I set one of them to musical mode, the other to linear.
I recorded silence on these two tracks simultaneously to save time.
I set up the punch in / punch out points which I rarely if ever use and started to record.
I just tried and tried until I ran out of new ways to try to make a difference but no new tempo was ever set for about 30 files.
This led me to believe that at least I’m not doing it wrong because then I would have stumbled on at least one way to do it right?
THEN … I spotted two files that actually had the tempo written into them!!!
It was two files running parallel on two tracks in the project.
Starting between cycle marker 2 and 3 and ending between 4 and 5 … these two files had some tempo written to them again completely unrelated to the project tempo!!!
WHAT???
Why?


It’s one of these occasions when I’m OK with being wrong because what I observe is just silly, right?
What am I doing wrong when I never get the tempo info written into the Pool correctly?

OR

Am I the only one thinking it would be a good idea to not make users of Cubase have to poke around with stuff like this in 2020?
Not very likely would be an understatement, right?

So … ???

I have never got my head around this.

It IS a Steinberg bug, which should have been fixed 15 years ago…

Agreed. It’s a source of immense frustration.

Agree, long time frustration. It’s become a habit for me to check/correct the Pool after every recording.

However I recently noticed that the Tempo was correct on a vocal that was recorded straight-through in a single take. But other audio in the same Project that was recorded in a Loop for multiple takes and cropping had incorrect Tempos set in the Pool. I haven’t explored this any further to see if it is a real pattern or just a one-off occurrence. But I wonder if Loop recording is a root cause.

Based on my experience if the audio files do not begin and end exactly on a bar there will be odd tempo data assigned to the file. Even in fixed tempo projects.
I’ve gotten into the habit of bouncing tracks / parts with the locators set to Bar if I need to fluctuate tempo. The shorter the bounce the better the chance you’ll get the right tempo data assigned automatically.

So if you’re recording takes in a loop and after the last loop you randomly stop recording, all of the loops / takes will be subject to the odd tempo data. Choose the loop or comp it then bounce with the locators set to bars before you alter tempo.

I’m presently working on a free meter track that I built a tempo map for and at some point I’m going to try and correct some of the more radical tempo fluctuations. Probably over 100 tempo changes. Many falling inside of bars. There’s no way those files have actionable tempo data.

Pray for me.

Interesting. I just checked the Project in my example and the vocal that was recorded in a single take started on a bar line but did not end on one. Yet it did get the correct Tempo assigned. I’d guess there are multiple factors that come into play.