Why can't the playback head (green line) move instantly when I click play, but lag a second or two

Hi,
Why can’t the playback head (green line) move instantly when I click play, but lag a second or two

What sound source (VST) are you using? NotePerformer, for example, takes a moment to read ahead the better to interpret the music. Other sound libraries also can prep to interpret the embedded instructions in your music.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum @yutao_Chen.
Please read here : Playback starting with delay

There are a lot of topics on this exact question on the forum in the last couple of months. I don’t have the links but a search would turn them up.

The notes for NotePerformer for Dorico point out that there is always about a one second delay while NP works out all the expression and so on. This is not a tunable setting. It’s normal.

I see as I write @Ulf has posted a link to a pertinent thread.

But in short, it is never going to be instant.

thanks Ulf

thanks Andro

I think the fact that many users have complained about this is an indication that maybe it’s worth prioritising. I believe this can be improved engineering-wise.

NotePerformer is not (made by) Dorico, and it simply needs this second to do its magic. Personally, I can live with that.

This issue is not just with not perfomer. It also happens with steinberg’s built-it Halion Sonic, as described in my original post: Playback starting with delay

I can live with that too but that slows me down if I need to repetedly audition short segments of music.