Why Cubase 7 is aprox 20% more hungry than Cubase 6.5?

The question is… Will they optimise CPU usage in future? You may think of it as a feature rquest. I can’t understand what is taking so much CPU power since no new C7 features been used in this old cubase version project.

are forced buy computer with 16 cores ! !
cubase is costing me a little too much …

I would like to know what kind of computer should I get to see cubase 7 work great!

question: windows 8 will be faster with cubase 7??

Yes, but to achieve this, a faster computer may be required however MS ethos is such that the resource footprint should be no more than required for specified functionality to exist (going back to Windows Vista) however in practice to operate a greater number of system processes you will need a faster CPU, more memory, better video card and so on

I would like to know what kind of computer should I get to see cubase 7 work great!

I have a MAC pro quad core. 3,2 GHz. 8GB Ram and 4x1TB disc space. I have organized the disks so that the system is on one disc. Plug in libraries on two disks (one specific for PLAY libraries). and CB projects on the last one.

This seems to be working just great with CB 7 in both 64 and 32 bit (although I do not have not used 32 that much to say if it is stable or not).

Being a Cubase user for close to 10 years I know that there is a huge difference between a PC and a MAC when it comes to running DAWs and its 3 party plugs. I have had three PCs and Two MACs, counting the one I’m using now. The one is not necessarily better than the other, but it seems that the combination of a certain DAW and a certain plug arrangement is more likely to fail on one combination than the other. And a PC is not just a PC either. They are made up from different components (more variety in parts than the MAC). So one make can differ hugely from another in performance. I tried my projects on a brand new Win 7 64 bit, top spesifications, made especially for the studio, and had severe trouble with hang ups and unwanted log offs. I then changed to the MAC I have now, and everything runs smootely. I do from time to time experience a strange ting or two, but rarely, and it is always when I push the computer by trying to make it do several things simlutaniously, like changing plugs when the project is running. My experience was also that the XP was a far better OS than Win7, not only for DAW’s. It is sad to see it gone. And BTW my experience with Win 8 so far is NOT positive. Microsoft has always tried to copy the best from MAC OS and now they are further from a well organized, intuitive and smooth OS (like the MAC has) than ever.

… i’ve noticed this increased cpu usage too - and i’ve also noticed that pretty much everyone reporting increased cpu-load are using RME interfaces. Would people with RME +1 this post? Perhaps this is worthy of further analysis …

1 Like

+1

Well I use RME and I can’t agree, at least on PC. There is only a slight increase in CPU and not any noticable difference in ASIO Performance. See pic Below. 17 VSTi’s while project is playing back. Only a 6% increase in CPU and 2% increase in RAM usage.

… i would call that a 60% increase in cpu load actually. I realize there is still alot of cpu in reserve, but still …

No offense intended but it sounds like you’re writing to tell everyone that you are wise to trust the evaluations of total strangers on a board rather than make a judgement for yourself. Not sure of I can Agree with this.

Is it not a perfect normal fact that c7 is more “hungry” than c6
The program has more possibilities, gui of the mixer is “bigger”, asio guard etc

Luckily computer systems also get more power in it is wise to upgrade you system after a while

I cannot run C7 on my old P4, but it works pretty good on my i5 with 16 gb ram

I really have to have a big number of vst’s an d plugins open to get in trouble these days

I agree.

I’ve had no problems with most users here and their advices, not so much the big post counters but those who are prepared to actually converse on a particular subject or otherwise help out where necessary.

Seems to me that enough people are noting greater consumption even on high end systems that this should be treated as a concern. I have noted some greater demands on my hardware, I am not confident I have finished tweaking the preferences adequately, so not sure I can genuinely say I see a true increase.

The 7.0.2 update solved our most urgent concern with C7 - the poor ASIO Performance compared to 6.5.3 which I reported a while ago in this tread. Thank you. 7.0.2 performs adequate or even slightly better now with our super-loaded low-latency live systems.

Another improvement is a change in the EUCON Adapter. The Cubase mixer view used to change every time I used the Knob Set Selectors on my Avid McMix Consoles. This was very annoying. Now the Cubase mixer view doesn’t Change anymore when I use Knob Set Selectors of the consoles.

I am very pleased, thank you.

Hi to everybody …am so sad with my purchase of cubase 7…because its useless (at the moment i hope)…i till now owned cubase 5, i3 intel processor and could work with 40 tracks on each 3-4 plugins and not a damn cpu spikes or the problems we all encounter when we squeeze our cpus to the edge…now i bought an i7, RME Babyface and cubase 7 and i thought that for next 5years that will do the job…but man, in cubase 7 under windows 8 x64, i7, SSD PRO,RME, i can hardly play 10 fuxxxxg tracks with 2 plugins on each and the audio goes bananas …am so disappointed and yes i know all the common tricks of how to configure a workstation for audio work, disabled every possible services, that r not needed,tryed all the drivers and options but nothing helps…:frowning:…and i cant make a song with 10tracks???..Steinberg thats bad like very bad…sorry…and yes please fix it or do something else for a living…
…i know that some of you guys dont have this problems but believe me i tried everything that can be disabled replaced formatted …SAD i am…and am talking 2048 buffer size , i can only dream to set it to something usable…and one more funny thing is that the clicks r happening when the processor is actually at 10% load…so it is clearly some software “asio” issue…

Luka

I had a similar problem. Try this… Export all your files so that every track is the same length. Open a new project in C& and and import all your files in that way. Cut out any silence to save hard drive power and now rebuild your mix. This helped me and it worked. Give it a test try and report back to us…

nexis

I would bet that the last line in your post is where the problem lies. Not with Cubase…

:slight_smile:…it was actually e licenser trick…i did complete removal and installed the new one and the performance is like tripled now…and yes Steinberg should warn their users above it…so that we don’t format and do useless stuff around the system instead of Music…tnx for the info!!..:smiley: