Why do i haave to constantly resize the arrangement window?

1. One
  2. 27" 1920 x 1080
  3. Track counts can be anywhere from 2 to over 100. I use pretty much all track types Arranger, Group, FX, Audio, Instrument, Midi, Folder, etc…

Exactly.

Hey,

On pc this can help:

You need some time to get it working perfectly, but for me this is a huge timesaver, every plugin that I use a lot, and also transport windows, video windows etc, always end up at predefined locations. Even with Cubase-files from other studio’s! Works great as Windows folder manager too, you can set the location, and size of the window.

The program runs in the background, and remembers window locations by name, or part of the name
so if you set plugins to be “always on top” in the prefs, activate the window and hit [CTRL +ALT + z] (1 x),and edit the "“remembered name” of the window in winsize2 so that it only contains the unique name of the plugin. Now every time the plugin opens it will jump to the location you want. Hit [CTRL +ALT + z] (3 x) to go to settings to edit these. Tip: don’t set windows to “always” in winsise2. This way you can stil move them if needed, however, the next time opened they will jump to the predefined spot.

JB

Ranting For Auld Lang Syne

If it makes one feel any better, I’ve been bitching about this for… TEN years. It goes away… then re-appears… depending on the version and the mobo and the displays I’m using. Wasn’t a problem in C5. Or C6. Then re-appeared when I upgraded mobo (but same version of Cubase!). And it -never- happens in any of my other apps.

My guess has always been that Cubase uses some sort of x-platform code ‘library’ so they can develop for Mac and Windows. So it’s always a compromise—they -never- get the app to behave like a true Windows app. Or maybe it’s the constant back and forth between Nuendo and Cubase.

Forget dockable windows. They haven’t even gotten around to Accelerators or any of the other little nuances that make a true Win app. Maybe the Mac version adheres better to the Apple standard.

I think the o/p made a valid point about putting up with it for all this time. All the old time bitchers like me drifted away… or just gave up. They are who they are.

I just finished a survey and my complaints with the company are the same as they were in 2003… Not enough updates… too many hare-brained ‘initiatives’ that never go anywhere and keep them from focusing on the core product.

—JC

Waasa fuss? Resize window by HAND.
2 seconds. Done.
If this is all Cubase has to worry about I worry about some people.

This after some poor geek moaning about how Steinberg were snotty about extending a trial period but forgot to mention they already had extended it once. I wondedered (sic :mrgreen: ) about the state of that dude’s head as well.

Legacy code? From the Atari?! :mrgreen:

If your computer monitor switched itself off every few minutes, one could say, “Just switch it back on BY HAND. 2 seconds. Done.”

And yes, you could switch it back on each time, but wouldn’t it be a whole blarnk of a lot nicer for the monitor to simply stay on all the time? (You know, the way it’s supposed to?)

Well it fixes mine. I maybe do it once a year or two, on all kinds of OSes. What I mean is don’t use the maximize button to resize the window. And I got the fix from here so I’m not the only one.

If your head hurts stop banging it against something hard. Bang it against something soft (you know, the way you’re supposed to). :mrgreen: Which seems to make as much sense as the last quoted sentence.

This is a very cute point of view. But let me remind you one thing: we’ve paid for every button in this app, for every comma in the manual, so each thing must be at its place and work properly. Now let’s take a look what we’ve got with the every new version of the app: old bugs + handful new features – old (good) features + new bugs. We’re all “testing” the product, reporting about bugs and waiting for fixing for months (years). You know, I’d like to pay for the app in such a manner: 10% of amount in the counterfeit banknotes - if they find the notes, well, I’ll “fix” it… in a couple of months (but not all the notes at once) and so on… I believe it would be fair. :wink: But we’re good people and we bring them “good” money, and we help them to make Nuendo better, so I believe we deserve more respect to our needs.
So tell me, why can’t we get the features we need??? The global trend of the software industry is the “user customization”, let’s take a FireFox or Chrome for example: there are the “core browser” and a lot of addons free or not, but you can decide to have or not to have. But Steinberg says: “we know better what is better for you!” Why?
Well, sure, Cubase is their child and they are free to do with it everything they want, paying no attention to the users. But lets play fair, I mean tell us that all our “feature requests” are useless and save our time and nerve. :unamused:

Ganglia - et al:
Dockable windows:
Dont have to be compulsory - you can leave them undocked too. Ther is a ‘magnetic area’ around the window, a few pixels - if you go near that they dock

2] Maybe some kind of cascade type function - tohugh you can do this with a windows view - maybe thats a sloution of sorts a windows view set up to snap things back

I’ve ended up creating a key command to ‘maximize windows’ so can return my windows to a sane state with just a couple key strokes (always faster than mouse clicks). But others have referred to “RTFM the manual” (yes, redundant) on how to manage Cubase windows… but… where? Workspaces maybe? Amidst all the polemics of the thread, I would love to see concrete suggestions on how to live with what we’ve got. My maximize-windows-key-command workaround works well enough, but better solutions are always better!

This is an extreme point of view of someone who does not really grasp the nature of computer music.
Yes. We pay for buttons. Yes. Sometimes they don’t work. Sometimes they don’t work on some systems and sometimes they work on others at one and the same time.
Knowing what I do about computer systems I know that not everything will work at 100% even on a simple wrod-processor (sic). Now Cubase is about a billion (and I’m not exaggerating there) times more complex than any word processor and I will expect the odd thing to go wrong now and again.
Yes. This problem has been there for a long time. But it isn’t a biggie and is not worth making this much fuss about.
(at least from this side of the cage bars anyway) :mrgreen: But I guess I’ll now have to leave you all to your “big brother ripped me off!” world. Otherwise you’ll all start telling me it’s awfully serious. :mrgreen:

Well so, you wanna say that Stein team can fix all the global bugs, can make Cubase working for 99,99% and cannot cope with such a lousy problem as the windows behaviour?! Ok. Let us believe you. But doing this way, I wanna have one more thing - the answer. Let them have a global topic on the forum: " we’re going to do nothing about this problem." and give us a link to it, every time they think so. Do I want too much? No, not too much.

This one keeps coming back…and back…and, well you get the idea. This ‘issue’ drove me to Mac, which I’m happy to say doesn’t have such issues.

This would be correct, however it would be nice to have it confirmed by a developer to put to bed this issue.

I’ve been avoiding this thread … since now that I’ve finally gotten things to work well, it scares me.

I never have to resize windows anymore.

The trick for me using two monitors was this.

1). Don’t maximize your main project window … simply draw it once to the limit of one monitor screen (or two or more if you prefer … and all this will work the same with a single monitor screen).

2). Open your editors one by one and redraw them to any size you want within the main window.

They will always open up the same way as long as no other editor was drawn larger than the project window and later is opened or no other non-editor window was previously in the project window outside of the window drawn within the main screen and later is opened . If you have any, even ones you’ve forgotten about, when you open them it will cause your main project window to resize to permit access to them. Things might work well at first … until you open an outlier window and then every thing goes amok.

3). Once you have found all the AOT windows that might have moved off your project screen as redrawn … and pulled them to the left into the project window with the horizontal project screen bar dragged all the way to the left … your project window will always stay exactly where you have placed it and every other window (as you desire) will open up inside of it.

4). Maybe Conman didn’t make clear that the 2 seconds to redraw only needs to be done once?

5). I now place all my mixers within the second monitor to the left, completely off the monitor with the project window. I have the main mixer completely extended at the top of that window drawn to the top, left and right borders with input, output and group channels excluded … and only one click to remove audio, midi or vsti channels as needed. I split the bottom of the screen with the other two mixers, one decicated only to my inputs and the other to my mixing busses and stereo out.

6). I place most of my VSTis to open on top of the second screen with the mixers.

7). I use alternate windows to create different templates for the main screen … mainly one using the whole screen for tracks and another with the tracks halfway down the page from the top and the channel editor sitting at the bottom and the inserted VSTs to the right of it.

8). Clicking on any channel in the mixer gives access to a key command to open or close the channel editor and I have another to close all open VST and VSTi.

It’s very efficient, I never have to resize and I’m finally happy.

Como

This needs to be a sticky!

I don’t know that it’s even possible to have the Cubase project window maximized on one monitor with child windows on the other for any program unless docking is used.

I’ll have to recheck later tonight when I’m up and running … but I am pretty positive even when maxed within one screen, AOT features can still appear on a second monitor.

Como

That’s right, but the problem starts with certain windows that can’t be AOT such as pool & mediabay.