Why do I need 2 sound cards and 2 sets of speakers?

Sorry to hear. From your previous posts i thought you are using the Pro Version.
make sure all the VST Connection are still the same in your project. Where there some warnings for missing busses when you started the project?

Yes there are missing output and now I have no sound at all! I will have a Steinberg Support calling me tomorrow Thursday and I hope we will be able to correct all these sound card/asio driver issues that I am struggling with since I installed both the Cubase 8 Artist and the Akai sound card. I have run Cubase 5 for more than 2years with only minor problems, I hope we can find a solution soon. Thank you all for your support and I will keep you posted on any new development.

Nowhere in the Cubase specs does it say that it must be used with a ‘professional’ interface, whatever that may be. Your defenition is as good as mine, although I think mine is better since I wouldn’t refer to the interface being ‘found in a professional studio’ as an identifier for being professional. In fact, professional studios tend to use what works best and reliably so, for the smallest investment possible. Also, Akai doesn’t claim to make a professional interface - it’s simply the Akai musical instrument branch making these that is called ‘Akai Professional’.

Yes, you are right, the term “Professional” is overused in the sound industry, and for what I do in music, I don’t need a Professional studio! All I want is the damn Cubase 8 and my Akai interface to work as well as the Cubase 5 with my Tascam interface did. I am an amateur, not a sound engineer and I don’t need all the bells and whistles they show in the tutorial for professional and advanced production! I just want to record music and produce amateur tunes as I did for the last three years!
The problem I created was to upgrade 3 major components at the same time: New computer on W8.1, new Akai Interface, new Cubase version. I would NEVER do this again!

A way around your problem may be to use your Realtech sound card for Windows users like Youtube, and the ASIO4ALL exclusively for Cubase. Then connect the Realtech outputs to an input of the Akai, and you should be geting what you want: the same interface giving sound to your headphones.

This is an idea!!! I will work on that! Regardless, the Steinberg Support person called me and worked with me on the remaining issues and concluded that the problem with my AKAI interface is that is uses the ASIO4ALL driver. Obviously they can’t do anything about that. So I will work with AKAI to see what they suggest, if ever they reply to my support requests. Before I do any further change on my system, I will consult with Steinberg Support while I take this last proposition to connect Realteck output to my Akai input and let you know if it worked. Thank you all for you support again!

I would NOT recommend this setup, as it allows Windows services and apps to ‘fallback’ to your UR824, which presumably is NOT what you would want happening in the middle of a session. Some apps may change sounds settings or add new ones that may ignore the ‘No sounds’ setting.

I recommend that the onboard sound be set as the default OS card, so that the DAW card is only used by devices explicitly configured to use it. Not connecting anything to the onboard outputs, or turning off speakers connected to it during DAW sessions, will ensure no unfortunate interruptions.

Every DAW PC I have ever built I have disabled the motherboard audio driver.That’s at least half a dozen PC systems not including upgrades and I have never had a problem. I have never had Windows turn on system sounds.

Though not likely to be run on a DAW-specific PC, but MS’s Lync added its own sounds (at least a couple of years ago), ignoring the ‘No sounds’ option.

Who is to say that some other program will not do it as well?

Now, you may be experienced in setting up computers, but as general advice, what I recommend is the more prudent option, as it mitigates against future non-DAW program installations, or future OS updates, changing DAW-audio settings.

Very valid solution if you’re familiar with windows, as I see it the orginal poster has not build up much experience with sound devices on windows, so my advise is based on his situation. :smiley:

Valid too, but DAWs have a long technical learning curve, and sometimes it is better to get good technical habits going at the start, rather shying away from them for newbie’s ‘protection’, especially since they will probably need to understand such basics for future setups/debugging.

In fact, for what I suggest, they do not need to change anything in the OS re the onboard setup, as it will default to that anyway, assuming the computer is set up before installing any DAW-specific stuff, but only need to do changes in Cubase for the DAW I/O, which is a ‘must do’, no matter what technical competence one has. From a setup point-of-view, this is ‘simpler’, but not necessarily from a mixed-use operational view.

The OP could use a small mixer if they want to use both simultaneously. It would also provide some analog controls in the signal paths, which enables one to easily kill any high-level signals that may result from program hangs.

Had kinda the same problem with Cubase 8 while trying to make tutorials and found the perfect solution… Voicemeeter Banana…!!! Just download…install…set it up…and get back to creativity. Oh…and Banana is donation ware…you pay what you think its worth or nothing…its your call

Hey Roland,
Others here are handling your current tech issues so I wont comment on these.

Your new here, so its easy to get frustrated. Cubase is a tour de force of programming and it takes years to really get comfortable with it.

Your having initial sound card set up issues rather than Cubase specific issues. Asio4All is old school and not taken that seriously anymore. Any decent modern sound device should have its own Asio driver and you need reasonable kit to get Cubase working.

Here is a few tips.

Go for a 64 bit set up if you can. This was you can access all the RAM you have.

Don’t worry about the Steinberg hub if it does not work - its often the case, all the videos are on Utube anyway.
If you get a moderately decent sound device you should be able to hear all sound simultaneously, I do here.

Go through the excellent tutorial videos- preferably with a demo project of your own to play about with. Spend a week or two at least, its a big program and it takes both Art and tech skills to master.

Read the Manual, read it again, go through every button and at least identify what it does.

It WILL be frustrating, but you can find a way of dealing with that, this is a good forum

Happy Journeys

Z

What “Z” just said and what I have been saying all along. It is a great forum but it’s very important to be patient, this was never a Cubase issue.

It takes a lot of patience I agree to get things working with complex software, however, I have done what I should have done in the first place, which is to remove the AKAI EIE interface and the ASIO4ALL driver and re-install my old Tascam interface and driver. Guess what, it works perfectly with both the Windows 8,1 and Cubase 8 switching back and forth! I just got the return authorization from Amazon. Good Bye AKAI. I will look into purchasing a Steinberg interface, it will probably work well.
Thanks to Cubase Support, we managed to have the Cubase 8 64bit, Cubase 8 32 Bit (required to run some old projects with 32 bit pluggins) and Cubase LE5 on the same computer. Even for them, making the Halion earlier version work was a challenge. But it is now working well.
Thank you all for your various suggestions and attempts to help me, this is very appreciated when one feels like going in circle around the same problems. Best regards.

Glad you got it all working in the end…
…and thanks for coming back and letting us know how it was finally solved.

Good luck!