Why do so many here not use Disk Image s/w?

I took the time some years ago to test various disk imaging software.
I quickly discarded those that forced any kind of subscription.
I started with the build in windows imager, that works, but is slow. That way I could restore if the other programs would not. The computer was new with only windows installed, if anything would go wrong I could simply format and install a fresh windows.
I ended up with AOMEI that worked faster and restored without problems. Out of 5 only those 2 where able to restore the computer to a bootable state. Mostly the boot sectors or partitions would not restore correctly on the other 3 (that im not going to name, they are probably fixed by now)
I don’t think dynamic disks are possible to create anymore in windows 10 and 11. (Say you extended a small C: drive with another drive)
That would confuse most programs, that would run in a loop never ending the imaging or simply crash. So, maybe test if hard and soft links work after a restore?

I went for the middle ground and do differential backups. With incremental you have to restore the last full and then all of the incremental backups made since the full. But with differential its just the full and then the single newest differential backup.

That was the problem I had with Acronis, it was always a gamble for me.
With Terabyte, I’ve NEVER had a restore problem.
I use their Boot Manager too, which is perfect for managing different OS’s and you can do Partition work from USB sticks.
They do have a free 30 day trial.

My DAW is air gapped so there’s no need for daily backups. My tracks are kept on a separate disk that gets’s backed up with a simple copy every time I do an appreciable amount of work. I back up the OS drive before every update. Any update. Steinberg, Microsoft etc.

CB 12 got off to a rocky start because of audio performance issues but that was patched long ago. It seems like long ago but it was probably only a month or so.

I use Easus free backup on all my systems. Seven of them.

My Acronis TI is now 4 years old, so took a look at their website to see what the newest version offers, with a view to upgrading. Sadly, they’ve gone the “Subscription” route😠! Therefore, that will be a big NO from me! Guess that’s saved me a few quid👍

Acronis True Image here, using it for 7 years, never had a single failure with the restores and
backups.
I’ve done everything you can imagine, system or not, from hdd to ssd , single drive to raid arrays, ata to sata, gpt, mbr, you name it, never failed me.

I am always making full backups though, no incremental, no differentials, it’s a huge time saver when things go wrong so I am spending a bit more in making full backups and I am sleeping good at night :smile:

It’s fast in my setup, I would say for 200Gb disk, full compression option will take like 10 minutes top.
For my bigger drives, for 2Tb of data I will check the option “shut down when done” and leave it to do it’s thing when I am leaving studio.

For realtime backup of my “working” disk, where the projects, audio files, etc are stored, I am using duplicate disks and a program called BVCKUP 2
Lot of options on how to handle the backups and super fast. I totally recommend it.

1 Like

My C: drive has the OS and all my software installs, but I keep my data, music projects, and samples on a large second drive.

I occasionally make an image of my C: drive onto my second drive. That has saved my rear way too many times. Windows Update caused something to break? Slam the latest working image back onto C: and keep going, debug the Windows Update issue later. Same thing with software installs.

I second Macrium Reflect for this. With it, you also make a Macrium boot USB, so when I’ve completely hosed things, I boot to the USB, point it at my images on my second drive, and restore.

Since I don’t want to include all the audio data and samples and so on in my images, I back up my data drive to an external drive occasionally. For that I use SmartSync, which can be set up to just sync changed/new/removed files. For those that know rsync, it’s kind of like a Windows version of that, with GUI. My backups of that drive also include my Macrium images of the C: drive, so those are safely duplicated as well. This process takes a lot longer than the C: images since this drive is so large. The C: images, since they are internal-M.2-SSD-to-internal-M.2-SSD take on the order of 5 to 8 minutes, so I run one before doing almost any install or update of significance, just in case. Like I said, I’ve used those a lot.