Why do stacked parts play simultaneously? How do I make it stop?

In both Cubasis 2 and Cubasis 3, multiple audio parts that are stacked on a single track will play simultaneously.

This is completely opposite the behavior in Cubase (and every other DAW) where only the topmost part plays, implicitly muting the others.

I don’t even understand how this is a feature. It means that as I overdub, I can hear all the parts I’ve already recorded.

Is there any way to turn off this behavior, so only the topmost part plays?

Hi xrayspec,

Thank you for your message.

Currently, Cubasis plays back stacked MIDI and audio events simultaneously - similar to a looper.
We might change this behaviour at some point in the future.

Best,
Lars

I suggest a new preference setting: “Only play topmost audio event in each track”

Thank you.

1 Like

Wait — maybe my wish has already been granted?

I just visited the product page at New in Cubasis 3: A Brand-New Cubasis | Steinberg and saw this:

Overdub and Looper recording modes: … a simple tap lets you choose between the overdub and looper recording modes”

And there is an audio wave illustrating this headline, implying that Overdub & Looper are available for audio recording. (Screen shot attached)

I did find the preference setting that seems to control this, but it doesn’t seem to change anything.

So to recap: Steinberg is advertising this as a feature of Cubasis 3. Yet it doesn’t seem to work. What am I doing wrong?

Hi,

The Overdub and Looper modes setup settings affects recording only.

Hope that helps.

Best,
Lars

1 Like

Please change this! Totally unusable!

1 Like

Hi @Albertsson,

Cubasis allows to simultaneously play back audio files, which lay above each other on the same track (similar to a looper). When recording audio tracks in cycle mode, it is possible to set the behaviour if previously recorded files shall be muted or played back.

Best,
Lars

How do I choose cycle mode? I can’t seem to find it

Hi Marktuure,
Just set your left and right locators by dragging them to the required positions then tap the purple Cycle tab and tap play :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you. I can see know I should change my question. I know the cycle button, but how do I change the behavior in playback, so that it is only one of the recorded cycles that plays ?

Unfortunately you can’t select a particular recording from a stack in Cubasis, you will have to mute or delete the other recordings in that stack.
One way around this problem after you have built up a number of “punch-in” recordings is to duplicate the audio track for as many stacked recordings you have made, then mute the stacked recording in such a way that each track as a different version for playback, hopefully this makes sense and is helpful

Thank you for clarifying that it is not possible.
I have previously used the work around you mentioned, so I’ll continue doing that :+1:

1 Like