Why does Steinberg insist on storing key commands here?

Key Commands are for some reason stored in the worst place ever. I have been asking cubase to fix this for YEARS.

Take a look at where they store.

The default location to where the key commands are stored when you load cubase, well… is empty. The only way to get the key commands to show up is to place them in this silly folder location

You also have to have the hidden folders button selected in the file explorer so that you can see where to go :confused: \

C:\Users\Dallo\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase LE AI Elements 11_64\Presets\KeyCommands

That is incorrect. Those are presets for the dropdown menu in the key commands dialog.

The currently in-use file is at %appdata%\Steinberg\Cubase LE AI Elements 11_64\Key Commands.xml.

The presets are not available because they do not show up and that is why I needed to copy them to the folder I mentioned above. Why wouldn’t Steinberg just put the presets in 1 place? I had to go searching through my computer to find them.
All the settings, key commands, midi commands, etc. Should pop up a menu asking where we would like to store them. That would be logical.

Steinberg publishes that information, so there’s no need to manually go through your System folders.

Also, a shortcut to the User Settings Data Folder (aka Preferences or Settings) resides in the Windows start menu folder, so there is an easy way to get there.

You can save your presets from the Key Commands dialog.

They do. What happened on your system was some kind of install error. The files in

C:\Program Files\steinberg\cubase Le Ai Elements 11

should have been copied during the installation to the user data folder at

%appdata%\Steinberg\Cubase LE AI Elements 11_64\

but weren’t. The user data folder is where all the preferences for cubase, and most other Windows programs, reside

*(see what is “%appdata%)

Thanks for reading! :slight_smile:

I’ve been using cubase for 15+ years. I’ve had this happen on four different computers. If it’s an install error… Weird that it’s happened f multiple times on different systems. This was with cubase elements. I can’t remember if it was with cubase pro or Artist. I’ve had them all. But now use elements and other Daws.

I wonder also – I see reports of it from time to time, but I’ve never experienced it. Would be interesting to understand.

One thing I wondered was if there’s a customization ‘hack’ for Windows that people do that has collateral effects?

I don’t know. But I’d say it’s a bug worth investigating.

It’d be great to find a common thread among all the machines. Very hard to solve since it’s not like a function in Cubase where a repro sequence shared to the forum be confirmed as a bug by other users. (as opposed to local machine probs.)

A simple solution is to allow us to export it and save it where we desire. And then direct the files to that specific folder

Have you actually tried to save a Key Commands preset from the Key Commands dialog?

Do they not appear in C:\Users\Dallo\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase LE AI Elements 11_64\Presets\KeyCommands\?

Yes I’ve done that.

So it works, yes?

Yes this is very strange. I’ve been upgrading Cubase since forever and (knock on wood) never had it occur. But when folks post about it not copying the files it seems to happen to them on multiple upgrades. Wonder if Windows can create a log file of an installation?

This is happening again to me, that my saved key commands is nowhere to be found. Not even in C:\Users*****\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase 12_64\Presets\KeyCommands
And I had made my own preset, which is nowhere to be found. I will just have to make a new one and store it in a different place.

You can find the factory file set (that should get copied to %appdata% in installation) here:
C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 12\Presets\KeyCommands

Try to copy the files manually to the user preference folder (having Cubase closed) and then start Cubase and save your own key commands. Does it work then?

I have had my own key commands saved, but today when I started Cubase they are gone. I can’t find them anywhere. This has happened before, so now I will start to make a backup in another folder that’s not connected to Cubase. But I will try your suggestion and see if something is different. But if it works for many weeks, with my set of key commands and the suddenly they are lost. That must be another issue.

Maybe you can have a look in your Windows’ Trashcan if the files are there?

I often empty my trashcan so…but thank you.

Does %appdata% take you to the user appdata folder?

I’ve had a few issues with software that I develop where, for some reason, Windows loses it’s environment variables and the software is unable to write to the correct folders.

May be worth checking it works.