Why does the file browser not show my WAV files?

Using Cubase Pro 11.0.20 on Windows 10 Pro.

I downloaded some samples and unzipped the folder.
The File Browser in the media rack on the right doesn’t show these WAV files.
However, if I manually drag them in from Windows Explorer into a Sampler track, they import and play fine.

Separately: Is there any way to get Cubase to create Sampler tracks from WAV files I drag into the track list, instead of the default Audio tracks? Some setting I’ve missed?

Did the “media bay” scanned the folders?

No, this is an audio production environment, not a sampler workstation.
Default behavior for audio file drag and drop will ever be to place it on the timeline…
This makes much more sense for 99% of the use cases.

Having used Cubase since Cubase Audio on a Mac II, not sure I 100% agree.
Cubase roots are in MIDI. MIDI is all about triggering instruments.
So, saying “this is the thing I want to trigger” with a WAV file isn’t beyond the reasonable.
Maybe something like holding down the ALT key when dragging into the track list could do it?
(Note: track list part on the left, not the regular workspace/editing area)

This is a file browser. I’ve re-started Cubase since I last downloaded some files.
I’d assume that a “file browser” actually browses files.
As you can tell from tools like Voidtools Everything, it’s very quick to scan an entire folder (or disk) for files of the right kind, too, so picking them up in real time should also be totally doable.

Anyway, every time I click on a folder, it starts a progress spinner in the upper right.
However, it still doesn’t show the WAV files when that’s done.

UPDATE: my problem was SOLVED by rescanning the disk in Mediabay.

I experience the same problem. Cubase Pro 11.0.20 on Windows 10 Pro (20H2). Media files are not shown in media file browser. I found out that if you move the files higher up in the hierarchy they are actually shown. In my case only files up to 2 levels deep in the folder hierarchy are shown. It seems like a bug(?)

3 Likes

You didn’t say how to solve the problem.

To rescan the disk, you have to open the Media bay window itself (not the side panel) by pressing F5 or going to the Media drop-down menu. Then navigate to the folder containing your samples and right-click. There should be an option called ‘Rescan’.

1 Like

Have exactly the same problem!
The File Browser in Cubase 12 on Windows 10 Pro 21H2
on the right doesn’t show WAV files nor MIDI files.
Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

1 Like

had the same problem, turns out if you hover over the area there’s a pull up tab that if you drag up will show the files below, for whatever reason it defaults to hidden. i cant show the before and after as it wont go back down but the samples are there

3 Likes

October 2022. Same problem.
Never experienced such issue with:
Live
FL
Logic
Garage Band

Even better. In the same folder. Some samples are showing. SOme not.
I was looking for a shaker. And my quest lead me up here.
Once more.
I am quitting using cubase. it is frustrating and ridiculous. Worst DAW out there as of 2022.

Oh,and expensive.
FL is 200 bucks, as is logic. And they WORK.

Oh And I forgot about REASON.
There is our workaround.
Open REASON as a rack (instrument), open Dr.Rex and browse from there.
Et voila. You want to access your audio files? Use REASON. haha.
Then that begs the question: why use cubase then?

Oh, no actually. that does not work either.
I see, if you want to access your audio file you need to buy the latest update perhaps…

Hi,

There is another thread about this issue here in the forum, where also the Steinberg developer participates. Please link this thread.

1 Like

Can you just leave this place? Use FL and stay away.

So there are issues with the program, and I should just leave and stay away? Got it.
And for the refund, are you in charge sir?

As pointed out in the thread linked by Martin, please try to delete your mediabay3.db file from the following folder:

Mac: ~/Library/Preferences/Cubase 12
Win: %appData%\Steinberg\Cubase 12_64

This will force Cubase to rebuild its audio file database. Note that simply pressing F5 to open the MediaBay and then clicking the Update Results button at the top may also be sufficient to fix your issue.

Please also make sure that the audio files you’re trying to import/access with the MediaBay are supported by Cubase:

I like Cubase 12. It’s the only DAW I use. That said, they dropped the ball on the whole WAV - File Browser scheme. I can see why people get frustrated. I was one of them.

I pulled out my hair trying to get Cubase to recognize my WAV files. Then I found out I had to right click the folder in the Media Bay and scan it there. Why Cubase doesn’t allow you to import WAV files right from the main screen makes no sense. I’m sure there’s a really good explanation for their system although I don’t know what that is.

1 Like

Ok. I’ll try that. Thanks.

clicking the Update Results
does not give any results.
Files are still not visible in from the folder in the right pane. Nor from the media bay,

Please see the other thread about this issue, as it contains many solutions.

please in addition delete the scannedFolders3.bin and scannedChecksums3.bin … they contain the folders which were checked for scanning, but got never completely scanned, … that was one reason for failure: the MediaBay just continued the scan that was initiated by the user … the other one I still investigate is an update issue … when the MediaBay has fully scanned a folder and a) you are on Mac and you add Files from Finder or b) on Windows if you add Files from Explorer while Cubase/Nuendo is not running, the MediaBay won’t add them to the database. In this case, rescan the folders … but: the less content you add to the database / or rescan, the faster scanning is done.

1 Like

I consider discussing if the scan-state (color of folder in MediaBay tree) should be used in the FileBrowser as well. As far as I remember we thought that is not needed and might be confusing. But now I think a folder going red in the MediaTree reflecting an active scan is better then an empty result-list … :thinking:

2 Likes

Thank you for your feedback. You are right, maybe “FileBrowser” is misleading, obviously there are pitfalls, I’m sorry for that, but I am aware and thinking …

And you are right, it’s simple to just list files, but I guess users expect, that user tagging (e.g. rating) is shown like in MediaBay window. For write protected and special file types, user tagging ends up in the database … so we need to get the results from database if available … next argument for utilising the database in the FileBrowser: deep searches are much faster when supported by the database - provided all scans are complete … (see my other posts).

2 Likes