Why does "Three Strokes Single-Note Tremolo" ignore the expression map?

Dear users and developers,

In the attachment, you would find that a “Three Strokes Single-Note Tremolo” ignores the expression map.
Could you explain why does it occur?

Please refer to the following picture to understand the problem:

In the example above, Dorico should play bar 3 and ber 5 with the same timbre.
However, “Three Strokes Single-Note Tremolo” does not follow the direction of the Expression Map.
Thus, bar 3 sounds differently from bar 5.

I really cannot understand what is the problem here.

In the Dorico project file, please look at the following dialogue boxes:

• Expression Maps
  • Playback Techniques

We can’t look at the Dorico project file, because you didn’t attach it.

Probably on the Timing page of Playback Options you need to adjust the number of tremolo strokes at which Dorico will start playing an unmeasured tremolo.

@Rob
Sorry. Here is the attachment.
I uploaded the Dorico project file. OTL
test tremolo.dorico.zip (978 KB)
@Daniel
your advice works.

However, why does the playback of unmeasured tremolos not respect the expression map?
Is there a technical limitation?

@Rob
Sorry. Here is the attachment.
I uploaded the Dorico project file. OTL
@Daniel
your advice works.

However, why does the playback of unmeasured tremolos not respect the expression map?
Is there a technical limitation?

I didn’t spot any Tremolo technique in your expression map… (?)

as the Default is being used for this example from what I can see, there are no techniques at all (which is probably what you meant…)

“tremolo” is natively assigned in Dorico.

I added the followings

• soft yarn cym
  • arco cym

It looked to me like you were attempting to route it to a dedicated articulation in Kontakt, in which case you will need to set it up in the Xmap.
Otherwise it performs as expected, so why the thread title?

You are right that Dorico has a built in “tremolo” playback technique.

But if the expression map doesn’t define what keyswitch (or MIDI controller or whatever) to use for the playing technique, Dorico doesn’t know how to do anything except play repeated notes.

In Expression Map. I defined proper Base Switches for Kontakt instruments, and they work well usually.
They don’t work when unmeasured tremolo attached.

Before Daniel gave this information, I had not known that, so I had posted it.

Now my question is the reason why the unmeasured tremolo has that behaviour.

As my previous post (and also dko22 and fratveno) said, you don’t get a tremolo playback technique because there is no “tremolo” playback technique defined in the “default” expression map you are using.

Dorico can’t work out how to play a tremolo patch in a Kontakt sound library using magic. You have to tell it how to do it!

Yes, there is no “tremolo” playback technique defined in the “default” expression map I am using because Dorico already provides various built-in tremolo playback feature.

The problem is “Unmeasured Tremolo” ignores " soft yarn cym" and “arco cym” defined by me.

My question is why “Unmeasured Tremolo” ignores them.

“Measured Tremolo” like “Two Strokes Single-Note Tremolo” does not ignore “soft yarn cym” and “arco cym” defined by me.
After changing the “Unmeasured Tremolo” to “Four Strokes Single-Note Tremolo”, “Three Strokes Single-Note Tremolo” now does not ignore my definitions.

My question is why “unmeasured tremolo” does not respect Expression Map while “measured tremolo” does respect Expression Map.

I hope that I expressed adequately now, and sorry that my English has been causing communicative problems. :cry:

I suppose unmeasured tremolo is considered a playback technique, whereas measured tremolo is considered Notation Shorthand and not subject to the same routines. (guessing here)

I would first try to add the Soft Yarn technique as an ADD-ON rather than a BASE technique in the Xmap, or, enter a combined technique ‘Soft Yarn + Tremolo’ …

Oh, your supposition makes sense! ADD-ON is a good idea! Thank you, I will try it!