Why I choose Cubase over the Rest of other DAW's.

I use it because I love dinosaurs.

Iā€™ve been using Cubase for years and at this point in my life it does what I need it to do and I have no need or ambition or to learn a new DAW.

Ha thatā€™s the thing, it may be old but itā€™s certainly no dinosaur. On the whole I find the latest update really modern and slick.

For me itā€™s inertia. It would take a huge investment of time to get up to speed with another DAW, and I donā€™t want the complexity of having new projects in one DAW and old ones in Cubase.

I chose it because Cubase has it allā€¦

how could you prove this? I feel curiousā€¦

I use it 'cause Sonar went off into the weedsā€¦

I thought Bandlab took over?

Good choice by the way.

I first used Cubase in 1998 in Accra, Ghana.
Thatā€™s how popular this software is.

To be honest, its the one I know really well, after 20 years. Im learning Bitwig and its a revelation. A friend of mine showed me the basics and its a beast when it comes to making electronic music. I suspect the younger generations of electronic music makers will not use Cubase/Logic/Cakewalk etc. A lot of ppl seems to use Reaper for mixing and recording and Live/FL or Bitwig for the actual music making. Honestly I think Cubase have problems reaching that groupā€¦

In what way was a bitwig a revelation, how did it differ to Cubase

Itā€™s extremely competent and fast to work with when doing all kinds of modulation, sequencing, building your own sounds/instruments, or even drum machines, for instance. Things that is totally impossible to do with just Cubase can be done in matter of two clicks in Bitwig. You can basically connect anything to anything really and still have 100% control over it. How much parameters changes in VST for example. It is very easy make electronic music ā€œaliveā€ in Bitwig, using modulators to ā€œhumanizeā€ parameters. You can control any parameter in a VST from the vast number of different modulators. Random, psuedo-random, envelopes, LFOā€™s. And these can be connected with one click to a hardware controller. Plus the CV support is incredibly handy for eurorack or any analog synths. The ā€œclip launcherā€ is really thought through. Everything in Bitwig seems very thought through and not like a patchwork with old legacy ways of working. Take a look at Bitwig 3 tutorial videos on modulators if you are interested to see its potential. Itā€™s a total different way of working.
Cubase has everything you need for recording/mixing while Bitwig has everything you need to be creative quickly. Thatā€™s why I still use both.

Variaudio for me, i find it hard to go back to Melodyne for vocals - So Cubase has me sown up on one feature that works time and time again.

That, and it just does the basics very well - iā€™m not one for gimmicks and all these electro modulations, as i can do it myself in hardware (Modular setup).

But i can sure see why many people have their minds blown with Bitwig etc.

But when i use other DAWs i instantly check out the vocal comping, tuning/correction tools and take management/track version abilities - As these are really the most important factors, everything else is just basic mixing and recording that i get right at source so any DAW suits really. I think thatā€™s why i like Cubase so muchā€¦ Just the core function set is solid, reliable and does what you want.

Very interesting. It sounds amazing. Though doesnā€™t quick controls do a similar thing in cubase for controlling vsts ?
I guess because cubase is so complex like you say with a. Huge legacy of workflows to try and maintain. Whereas other newer software can streamline things ina more modern way. I do sometimes feel that cubase can be a bit clunky in its workflow simply because it can do so much. But on the whole I do think it for ms is one of the best daws out.

Agreed. But it also does have so many amazing tools. Groove agent se. Superb bread and butter sampler. Vari audio. Sampler track. chord track. Top class underrated synths. Media bay. Etc.

I use Bitwig a lot and it is in another league for what it does, the modulation / time stretching modes / browser are on another level. Cubase really shines with scoring / mixing / arranging - you can do all the sound design / modulation stuff with 3rd party plug ins like kilohearts but they are really two different beasts. If I had to choose one it would definitely be Cubase, not gonna score a film or try to mix hundreds of tracks in Bitwig :slight_smile:

Bitwig lacks some really obvious DAW core concepts - everyone concentrate on itā€™s modulation and electronic music based tools and rightly so theyā€™re great, but this really should sit on top of a basic feature set.

Thereā€™s no real comping within Bitwig, and you canā€™t even freeze tracks. They should be core functions in my mind, not a ā€˜featureā€™ that is easily omitted.

1 Like

Just took a look at bitwig videos and it went over my head re the modular set ups for all the effects. I stopped watching after a few mins. Like everything Iā€™m sure itā€™s simple once u know how but Iā€™d rather. Stick wirh cubase

Used Cakewalk for many years, but when it disappeared temporarily a few years back I panicked and bought the cross grade to Cubase.
Well, to my surprise I think Cakewalk and Cubase have been beating each other up in the DAW wars for many years back.
Yes, the score editor in Cubase is far superior, to Cakewalkā€™s staff view, but mostly these DAWs do the same things, just a different user interface.
So, I customized all my Cakewalk keyboard shortcuts that are programmed in my brain like forever, and applied them in Cubase.

Now that Iā€™ve spent more time in Cubase, I really appreciate those extra things it does compared to Cakewalk, but must admit I still prefer the general user interface look of Cakewalk, perhaps out of familiarity . . . but the Cakewalk ā€œSkylightā€ interface is far more intuitive and less menu based.
In Cubase, I have to go searching through many drop down menus to accomplish tasks.

Anyways, for what itā€™s worth, I am now very happy to have 2 DAWs, and am learning which one to use depending what Iā€™m doing.
Cubase is by far a better composition DAW.

I just canā€™t be arsed to use anything else. Actually I donā€™t want to use anything else. You know what? Itā€™s cost me so much over the years I canā€™t afford to use anything else.