Why is Dorico so poor?

ARR! ANGERMAN!

(Carry on.)

2 Likes

For “down & dirty, knock it out quick”, notation, nothing equals Encore. Likewise, MIDI import was top notch. It’s too bad that it never made the translation to 64 bit.

Worse, its limited MusicXML export combined with Dorico’s limited imports makes opening one’s old work in Dorico beyond frustrating (those who’ve not tried it don’t get to have an opinion on this). Scanning in PDFs is better but less than satisfactory. That’s the way it is, though.

I keep Mojave on an external SSD for the sole purpose of being able to use Encore when I need to access some of my old work. Like in The 6th Sense, Encore doesn’t know it’s dead but the user base knows. Its clunky appearance meant you could never use it for polished looking scores, anyway. It’s time to move on for all of us.

No notation app does everything well. Crossgrade licenses for other notation products are relatively inexpensive. Take advantage of 30 day trial periods and see if there’s something out there that works for your workflow. Eventually, you’ll find something that works but you may have to adjust your workflow to make it happen.

Dorico 3.5.1 is a lot better than v. 2 — I bought in 2018 but found unusable back then.

1 Like

What is this in reference to?

1 Like