Why is the copy protection USB dongle so expensive ..

Why is the copy protection USB dongle so expensive … when 64 GB flash drives are so cheap now a days , we dont use it as storage , its a nuisance , hope it was smaller , susceptible to damage , n theft ,n Damage to the USB port as well, like the Blue tooth small Usb/s , whats there in in ??? like KB of flash RAM ??? with rates here in 3 times higher ??? will Steinberg @ least sell these direct to their esteemed clients ??? i wish to buy another 2 , one for stand by, in case of the above mentioned issues , n one to transfer n sell unforeseen double buys… or older Vsti/s … though i like the C6.5 u can still strive to be the best of the best in the world if ur clients are happy …specially ur clients who stood by you 4 years n years , but i never regret the move in to cubase since high school…Atari Days ,( n Red PC LPT Dongles i have with no trade in value, Think Steinberg should trade in for some discounts n capitalize, n turn it into a futher sale of thier products !!!) any way good going guys … but reflect on ression these days , dropping currencies in countries against the $ … !!! s

New dongles cost around £20 ($30) here in the UK. I have no idea if it’s simply flash drive, probably not is my guess.

Of course, if you want more than one of them to contain your Cubase 6 license, it will cost quite a bit more! :wink:

I agree it would be better if it was smaller, very vulnerable sticking out the side of a laptop. For some reason my C6 dongle (had it since early SX days, IIRC) is bigger (longer) than my Nuendo dongle.

(stop sniggering at the back)

I have a specific clause in my studio insurance policy to the effect that all software licenses are covered in the event of loss, theft etc, in whatever form the license is contained.

I think there’s some different hardware inthere than just flash memory. And the price ofcourse is also made up by the number of units produced - quite a bit less than the average flash drive. I agree it could be a lot smaller, but for me it’s okay since it’s always sitting in the same slot of my studio PC.

ROTFLAO!!
Sorry f, I could not help it.
{‘-’}

The usb key contains an Atmel AT90SC6464C-USB secure microcontroller. Bulk price (1000) 3.5$ each.

Mine costed a whole lot more than yours, but when I opened that white cardboard box it came in, to my surprise I found a free copy of Cubase Artist 6.5 .
The people at Steinberg really know how to treat their customers!

I also payed really alot for mine but i got the free bigversion of Cubase 6.5 inside.
Looks like it depends on ho much you pay for the dongle.
The more you pay for dongle the bigger version you get for free LOL :laughing: :laughing:

The usb key contains an Atmel AT90SC6464C-USB secure microcontroller. Bulk price (1000) 3.5$ each.

And what about the time the poor guy needs to go deep down into the cellar, risking his life when he fights the big rats down there. Only to get you such a cheap dongle. Don’t you wanna pay him a bit for his risk?

Greetz Bassbase

Well, I guess, for the most of use, the dongle has been free (meaning inckuded in our boxes).

What I personally think:

• Other comparable systems like iLok a far more expensive, and they also charge for transferring licenses.
  • The whole license management includes the license server etc., I gusee, we are paying this with the dongle.
  • License transfers are free of charge.

Roger

• License transfers are free of charge.

A new way to make money :wink:

Not for pace, IK Multimedia or others. :mrgreen:

+1

Indeed.
The e-licenser isn’t just a piece of hardware, it’s also a service.
Associated with that service are going to be user support costs and server maintenance costs.

Let’s also not forget that the e-licesner isn’t exclusively used by Steinberg.

And what about the time the poor guy needs to go deep down into the cellar, risking his life when he fights the big rats down there. Only to get you such a cheap dongle. Don’t you wanna pay him a bit for his risk?
NOTED :angry:
well i also got a free c6 which later swelled up to 6.5 for Free , no one is complaining there , Add the dongle in the costs of the software in all the pakages including in Halion 4 n Halionsonic which i purchased , so that the Damn Distributers dont Ripp you for every single little item, 3 times the price what u buy there , try buying just a usb dongle here in India , u understand what i say … s

Oh could that be my business change, buy dongles here in germany and sell them to india letz say for only 150% than 300% the price here?

Don’t you just love Capitalism? :unamused:

Nope i don’t :wink: it was a joke :laughing: , but to go on like this if you ordere1000 cheap bulk donlges you will only have to pay 105% of the original price. :imp:

Greetz Bassbase

Sadly , u will fail in this business too , as the Dist/s sell any Steinberg package @ any given price that hits their mind , far above the budgets of the common man , n in India , its the masses who make the common man , the super Rich r not exactly in Music software … too bad but best wishes in ur new venture …if u manage to sell 2 Usb dongles , have a beer , cause i might just b the only one who might buy them of u … Happy stocking … s

well , my fault, i started this thread wrongly , it should have read , why is the UBD dongle so expensive in my country ? !!! s :laughing: :ugeek: Love the Swines though … reminds me of Gr8 'ol George Orwell …