why is the WL7 GUI so bad?

I had a similar reaction (from a systems standard perspective on a mac, as I was not previously a WL6 user), but to be honest, after I spent considerable time tweaking and setting up a custom workspace, I really love WL7’s workflow.

I started by making it more WL6-like. Not because I have any love/connection to WL6, but because WL7 has no real manual, while the WL6 manual is excellent. Making WL7 look/act like WL6 made the WL6 manual’s advice more servicable, and got me rolling. Once I got the hang of things, and with my new-found comfort in WL gui-shaping from the exercise, I aggressively axed parts I didn’t use, and moved things around to suit my needs.

At this point my workspace no longer resembles WL6 or any other DAW I use. Instead it looks/feels very customized, and saves me tons of clicks and hunting around. It’s an investment in time to be sure, and I can’t really compare to what y’all had in the older version. But i get things done better/faster than before, and use WL7 a lot more regularly (I’m still a soundBlade user too - it’s gui is far more minimalist and key-driven, but impossible to customize). I understand folks don’t always have time to start over, and if something works you don’t really want to. But if you like the sound/features of WL7 you should be able to tailor your gui to something more comfortable with a little time and tlc. YMMV.

Hi Daved,
Interesting approach. Do you have a step by step procedure for how you made the GUI more WL6-like?

I had something like this:

Close your current Audio File workspace.
Create a new one with Global / New Workspace / Audio File / Factory preset: empty layout.
Open a single audio file in the empty workspace and maximise this window.
Open the Master section from Workspace / Shared Tool Windows.
Dock the Master section to the left of the Edit window (for example)
In Workspace / Command bars, de-activate ‘Central Switcher bar’
Save the layout using Workspace / Layout/ Save As
In Options / Global preferences / Display, de-activate ‘show icons in menus’ and ‘use floating window switcher’
Quit Wavelab and re-launch.

Did you do something similar?

Very useful resource:

Who for? That video has very little to do with Wavelab.