I built my own PC after researching components that many people are using in their audio computers.
I have an i7 6800K overclocked at 38MHz, which is watercooled, sitting on an ASUS X99 Deluxe II; 64Gb Gskill 3200MHz RAM and ASUS 1080 GTX Strix.
My samples are on 1Tb EVO SSDs and I record to 7200rpm HDDs. I have Cubase Pro 9.0.20 installed on my OS SSD. I have done BIOS and Windows 10 optimisations as outlined by Steinberg and still my PC seems to struggle. The BIOS and drivers for the cards are the latest ones. I ran Latencymon for over two hours and it stayed in the green.
I read an article on Scan Pro Audio http://www.scanproaudio.info/2017/06/28/intel-i9-7900x-first-look/ which is about the new i9 7900X. They used Dawbench to put it through it’s paces and found it flies in comparison to my 6800K. In the article, it shows a Dawbench polycount for the 6800K of 1680 at a buffer setting of 256. I thought mine would be similar but I was shocked when mine struggled to hit a measly 220. There must be something I am doing drastically wrong for there to be such a huge discrepency between Scan’s figures and mine. I’m flumoxed!!