why so many new versions so fast

Well I can imagine the shock-waves going through the industry if Avid went under. We are living in dangerous times. All the assumptions about how we record and produce music and the equipment/software we use are hanging in the air. It is rather like the early 80’s and the arrival of digital recording. Only a lot more confusing.

Well Apple’s revenue for 2013 was around $120. Billions. Yamaha’s revenue was around $366. Billions and about 74% of that was from musical instruments. I think Cubase is here to stay :smiley:

Maybe Yamaha buys Pro Tools then?

no updates or new versions will ever give you the ability to make great music(if thats what you are doing). so for me i enjoy the new stuff but it doesnt do anything to get me.to number 1 on the.charts. thats my job. ill waste less time looking for new inovations and spend more time trying to make great music.

A Daw is a tool. You also need talent and backing to get to #1. DJ Tiesto uses Cubase. Micheal Jackson used Cubase. Stevie Wonder used Nuendo. Teddy Riley used Cubase. Beck used a 4 track for his hit single, I’m just naming a few. Please stop blaming it on Steinberg.

how did i even come close to blaming anything?? i was just stating the fact that it doesnt matter what yiu use u need talent…so the most advanced daw in tbe world wont help you.

A good DAW can help talent to manifest better and/or sooner.

I think you mean a good preset.

But I still disagree with your stement.

Talent of itself is inert. It has to be applied.

If one wants talent to manifest as audio recordings, then a ‘good’ DAW can facilitate that.

The DAW becomes an tool of the operator. If the DAW has a design that the particular operator(s) can use efficiently in enough areas of the manifestation process, it may be said to be a good ‘DAW’.

If you’re referring to the report linked below, software isn’t even listed in the chart. If fact, under “net sales of Musical Instruments/Audio Equipment”, I would presume it to fall under “others”, which was the only segment to lose revenue that year ( -1.3) :astonished:

If that’s the case, the numbers don’t lie; Steinberg’s old school distribution model is skating Cubase away from the puck.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCYQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.yamaha.com%2Fabout_yamaha%2Fir%2Fpublications%2Fpdf-data%2F2013%2Fann%2Fan-2013e.pdf&ei=_KwxU8SOMpKgkQe__IHYDw&usg=AFQjCNGrJdKSjUgZ6U17SQwiHdxEvL2GDg

I hear you but any intelligent business person would understand that it would be easy for yamaha to bundle cubase with a Yamaha products or Native Instruments and the list goes on and on but so far it looks like cubase is leading in popularity.

Just to be clear… I only (rhymes with) bitch about the lack of vision regarding moving towards a modernized distribution model because I do care and want Cubase to be around a while. Bundling free software does not equate toward long-term viability. Gotta turn a profit to justify continued R&D. And right now, that looks like pushing frequent paid updates. How long before we’re strong-armed into an Adobe-style subscription model?

Too many real composers (not posers like on this forum) not saying it is you… at all, rely on Cubase, myself included to fashion their ideas into musical creations.

Besides, genuine professionals do not come to the forum, they drop into HQ.

It may be a pity that they can’t spare a few words now and then but even if they did it would be anon.

Fact is most of the tips and tricks I pick up are from people here who do it for a living, maybe not famous people but nonetheless profficient undertakers who for all intents and purposes probably work on advertising jingles or in their local school but now and then I do get instruction from names I can’t even remember.

It should be bundled since that allows successive generations of musicans and producers to get on board.

It also allows the poor to secure an up to date system without breaking the bank.

More likely:
a) ‘AV/IT’ = 15.1%, or
b) ‘Electronic Devices’, which includes “Software technologies for middleware and content development tools” = 4.1%

The latter lost money overall! At the price for Logic, Apple is probably losing on it, but is using it as a loss leader for their higher end hardware sales.

@jpgtr, 366 billion Yen =~ US$3.6 billion, so Apple is well ahead in overall sales, and certainly in the US and Europe, which only represent ~15% each of Yamaha’s sales.

We still don’t know what % of each company their DAW software sales are, nor what their continued viability is. Can hardly measure penis sizes if no-one takes them out!

From the Digital Music Doctor DAW shootout, which is basically a tally of all the features across all audio-related possibilities, Cubase still covers all bases the most, as it has done for many years, and is one of the reasons we went for it.

We had originally intended to go for Logic, as our two contracted musicians had it, but got put off because Apple bought out eMagic, and promptly stopped the PC versions in their tracks, basically telling users, buy Apple or get lost.

Some here may remember the sudden influx of angry Logic users to the old forums, and the continual whining about how Cubase did not work like Logic.

As I needed Windows for my IT related work, and was not trustful of a company that was willing to mass ditch loyal customers for ideological reasons, Cubase was the obvious way to go, given that we did not know what we might need in the future. Changing DAWs is a very non-trivial undertaking.

Am I the only one that finds this just a tad bit comical? You don’t exactly have to be the Rockefellers to afford an upgrade that might cost $100-$200 every year and a half or so… I mean, is money really THAT tight? Skip a couple dinners out or a few dates at the movies these days and bam, you can afford the upgrade. It really just seems like such a trivial bone to pick for what are in some cases huge innovations in workflow and changes that make our life as users easier. And again… if it’s REALLY breaking your bank… no one is forcing you, just don’t upgrade. There is nothing stopping you from staying on the same platform you are currently on… Is this seriously a major concern?

No

I’m sticking with Ver5. It runs perfectly on my Win7-64bit machine, never had a crash (Never) and it does exactly what I need it to do. I waited from Ver3 until I saw some features and upgrades that I thought would be useful in my situation. I am not a professional, just a bedroom composer. I can’t see myself upgrading for a very long time. Ver5 does what I need it to do.

I do agree with the OP premise. It does seem like the new versions do come out too fast. But I guess that has been addressed throughout this thread already and I have nothing new to say.

Now… how do I navigate back to the Ver5 forum?

Now… how do I navigate back to the Ver5 forum?

We’re very naughty boys, so we’re not telling you. The old moderator Al Zheimer has left. :mrgreen:

You, are the Cubase 5 forum :mrgreen: