why when I shift click on some notes on the staff does it also select any SYSTEM text above?

I find this surprising (and admittedly a bit annoying) - I would presume if I select a range of notes it would only select staff-related objects and not system text (which is what I thought the System Track was for?) (just checking!)
Best!

• D.D.

It’s not clear from your description exactly what you’re doing: are you using click and Shift-click to select notes, or some other means? If you’re using marquis selection then it’ll select anything you completely enclose with the selection rectangle, but click and Shift-click doesn’t select system-attached items like system text.

I was doing the latter and it seemed to be selecting system text also. Let me check again when in front of my computer -
Best!
D.D.

Daniel,
Here’s an example of what’s going on. In Write Mode, I single-click on the first whole rest, highlighting it. Nothing else get’s selected (as expected):
Screen Shot 2018-10-10 at 11.16.21 PM.png
Next, I shift-click on the whole rest in the second bar. I would expect JUST the two whole rests to be selected. However, in addition, this also selects the SYSTEM text (above this) (as well as the “1/2 time feel” staff text, as I WOULD expect):
Screen Shot 2018-10-10 at 11.16.34 PM.png
Am I wrong that this is not how things should work? (just checking!)

• D.D.

You are probably selecting the entire measure, not just the rest, when you extend the selection.
I notice click and CTRL+Click does not include the system text, but of course it may not select what you need selected.

Ah, this is deliberate behaviour when you extend the selection. There was a problem reported a while back where trying to start a selection from a bar where system text was present at the start of the bar wouldn’t work when subsequently using Shift+click. So this is the expected behaviour for now. You can remove system items from the selection by Ctrl+clicking or use a filter to narrow down the selection after you’ve extended it.